PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Computer - which version of Ubuntu?

ubuntu1sttimer
July 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
Have a new computer and not sure which version of 9.04 to install. It is a Systemax SYX-2015
with Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Pentium Dual Core
Processor Number: E2220
Processor Speed: 2.40GHz

Want to use it for video viewing with mythtv and video editing plus some general programs.

My question, which version of 9.04 should I use and if it is the 64 bit one, to what extent will that limit my choice of other application programs?

Have not kept up on the new processors so not sure what would work and what would not.

Also, it came with Vista installed but I read the user agreement and decided that I didn't want to give MS the right to explore my hard drive so would like to just leave it on but unused and install Ubuntu. Is there any problem with doing that?

megamania
July 31st, 2009, 01:21 PM
I was in the same position as you a couple of weeks ago.

I installed the 64-bit version of 9.04 and so far I've not had a single problem - I don't even realize it is a different version.

Mark Phelps
July 31st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Also, it came with Vista installed but I read the user agreement and decided that I didn't want to give MS the right to explore my hard drive so would like to just leave it on but unused and install Ubuntu. Is there any problem with doing that?

No -- as long as you do NOT use the Ubuntu installer or GParted, or any other Linux-based utility to shrink your Vista OS partition to make room for Ubuntu. Use the built-in Vista Disk Management tool to do the shrinking. Yeah, I know it sucks, but it doesn't corrupt your OS partition and render Vista unbootable when it's done.

ktechkio
July 31st, 2009, 01:41 PM
I use Kubuntu 64 bit on

Intel Pentium D 2.8 Ghz Prestler, 2Gb Ram, Nvidia Geforce 8500 1Gb

It runs fine. Full speed 14 sec boot with desktop effects and all!

ubuntu1sttimer
July 31st, 2009, 02:18 PM
No -- as long as you do NOT use the Ubuntu installer or GParted, or any other Linux-based utility to shrink your Vista OS partition to make room for Ubuntu. Use the built-in Vista Disk Management tool to do the shrinking. Yeah, I know it sucks, but it doesn't corrupt your OS partition and render Vista unbootable when it's done.

I have not, and would rather not activate Vista. Thus, I expect I can't use their disk management program. Sounds like that makes it harder if I want to keep what is on the drive now. They said that some of the needed Vista programs are already on the drive rather than on the provided system restore CD.

While I, at this time, don't want to use Vista, I paid for it and don't want to just throw it away by erasing part or all of it.

vinutux
July 31st, 2009, 02:46 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit....

if you want more cretive pakages...for studio needs like videoediting....a more customized version (added more creative softwares) called ubuntustudio available here.http://ubuntustudio.org/ (http://ubuntustudio.org/)

megamania
July 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
While I, at this time, don't want to use Vista, I paid for it and don't want to just throw it away by erasing part or all of it.
Keep in mind that if you bought your computer after june 26th (I think), you have a free upgrade to windows 7. Such upgrade may require you to have Vista installed in order to proceed with the install procedure (I'm in the same situation).

ubuntu1sttimer
July 31st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Keep in mind that if you bought your computer after june 26th (I think), you have a free upgrade to windows 7. Such upgrade may require you to have Vista installed in order to proceed with the install procedure (I'm in the same situation).

Yes, I knew that something like that was in the works but did not know the date. Got the machine last week so it should apply. In order not to burn my money for MS bridge deal, I should start XP and then not use it anymore. There may come a time when there is a program that I just can't do on Linux and I will have to use MS. By that time the program could require MS-7. Will have to find out how to use the MS partition program.

One question. If I install mythbutu can I still install other non media programs like I can do on regular 9.04?

Want to thank all for the good replies.