PDA

View Full Version : Linux is pronounced linux

hissyfut
July 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Linux is pronounced linux, as in 'lye nux', not as lennox.

Here's the proof.
Linus was named after an American Nobel prize winner. In america, Linus is pronounced as stated above (as 'lye nus').

Lilo, the linux loader, is pronounced 'lye low', not 'lil low'.

lennox is for air conditioners.

ibutho
July 31st, 2009, 10:37 AM
The proper way to pronounce Linux (as pronounced by Linus Torvalds) is here (http://www.jx90.com/linux.html). I guess Lilo would be pronounced something like "Lee-Lo".

daverich
July 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM
wow, now this is cleared up I have a whole extra half a day to play with,- any suggestions?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

aesis05401
July 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM
wow, now this is cleared up I have a whole extra half a day to play with,- any suggestions?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Yeah, figure out the right way to say postgreSQL ;)

Here are the results of the community vote from a while back :http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey.33 (http://www.postgresql.org/community/survey.33)

hissyfut
July 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM

Kind regards

Dave Rich

working on this a long time, huh?

reyfer
July 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Linus was named after an American Nobel prize winner. In america, Linus is pronounced as stated above (as 'lye nus').

The part I boldened is the operative part here. Why do Americans have this supreme belief that all things should be done their way? Listen to the sound file posted by Ibutho. It is the father of the creature pronouncing it :)

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 11:47 AM
The proper way to pronounce Linux (as pronounced by Linus Torvalds) is here (http://www.jx90.com/linux.html). I guess Lilo would be pronounced something like "Lee-Lo".

I'm sorry, but that does not sound like Linus Torvalds.

Here is a video of him pronouncing Linux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

hissyfut
July 31st, 2009, 11:53 AM
The part I boldened is the operative part here. Why do Americans have this supreme belief that all things should be done their way? Listen to the sound file posted by Ibutho. It is the father of the creature pronouncing it :)

How do you pronounce 'Linus'?

Eisenwinter
July 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
You're all idiots anyway....

;)

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 12:14 PM

;)

And your evidence of this is what, may I ask?

aesis05401
July 31st, 2009, 12:16 PM
And your evidence of this is what, may I ask?

The way we drool on ourselves whilst loitering about these forums?

Well, the way I drool on myself mainly.

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Well, the way I drool on myself mainly.

I was going to say... my submandibular glands aren't that overactive.

the8thstar
July 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM

;)

How do you pronounce "idiots"?

aeiah
July 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM
linus is li as in lie, linux is li as in lit.

and postgreSQL is post-gress-QL. and i refuse to budge. hmph.

Eisenwinter
July 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
How do you pronounce "idiots"?

Well, I have to admit that I pronounce it as is I-D-E-Oats.

Sublime Porte
July 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, figure out the right way to say postgreSQL

Wow that's actually one I got right for a change (according to the highest vote anyway).

Personally I've always said Linux as lie nicks... Linux is a *nix not a *nux, so lie-nucks just sounds un-UNIX-like.

aeiah
July 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Wow that's actually one I got right for a change (according to the highest vote anyway).

i quite liked that pronouncing PostgresQL as "database" got over 4% of the vote

Cl0ud9
July 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM

Everything must be done America's way because the United States is the only county with enough balls and power to take charge and make the world a better place.

aesis05401
July 31st, 2009, 01:53 PM
@sublime porte: It never dawned on me before that I was not using *nix phonetics. What am I going to do now? I really really prefer the nux pronunciation.

I think this is how basement geeks have nervous breakdowns.. thanks a lot ](*,)

megamania
July 31st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Everything must be done America's way because the United States is the only county with enough balls and power to take charge and make the world a better place.
And if you don't agree, you're not coming to my birthday partyyyyyy.

t0p
July 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM

"A better place", huh? Yeah right. Iraq and Afghanistan are sooo much better now than when the old regime was in. Wouldn't you be glad if a US fighter jet launched a missile at your wedding party?

Still, I guess that's one way to deal with the in-laws... :p

As to the topic in hand: most people say it as LEE-nucks (stress on first syllable). "Correct" usage of language generally depends on how the majority of people use it. So it's LEE-nucks.

Incidentally, hissyfut and aeiah: Torvalds' first name is not pronounced LIE-nus. He doesn't come from an English-speaking country. At home, he'd be called LEE-nus. Americans generally pronounce it Lih-nuss. (Go to Google Video and look for a video of him giving a speech or presentation: when he's introduced to the audience, you'll seee (hear) how the MC says his name.

jomiolto
July 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
How do you pronounce 'Linus'?

"lee-nus" (lee as in "leeway" and nus as in "Venus")

jomiolto
July 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Incidentally, hissyfut and aeiah: Torvalds' first name is not pronounced LIE-nus. He doesn't come from an English-speaking country. At home, he'd be called LEE-nus. Americans generally pronounce it Lih-nuss. (Go to Google Video and look for a video of him giving a speech or presentation: when he's introduced to the audience, you'll seee (hear) how the MC says his name.

Incidentally, "LIH-nus" is how most Finns would pronounce the name (outside of the Swedish speaking minority) and Mr. Torvalds was probably quite used to the incorrect pronunciation even before moving to the USA :)

Tipped OuT
July 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
"lee-nus" (lee as in "leeway" and nus as in "Venus")

*Buzzard Noise* Try again. :twisted:

koenn
July 31st, 2009, 04:59 PM
you really should add sarcasm tags or something when you post something like this, or people will think you're serious - one hears this king of crap way too often from nitwits who actually mean it when the say stuff like that.

schauerlich
July 31st, 2009, 05:13 PM
I vote c) I don't care, and neither should you.

Johnny B
July 31st, 2009, 05:21 PM
+1, dont care

moster
July 31st, 2009, 05:30 PM

;)

How nice words from somebody who is member of group I don't use Ubuntu but I hang out here anyway...

After I saw thread "How is weather at you?", this thread has incredible sense.

HappyFeet
July 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I say Lin-icks. Does it really matter?