PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hard drive errors, how do I fix?

rhythmiccycle
July 31st, 2009, 05:48 AM
hello,
i've been having a lot of issues with my computer lately.
I decided to reinstall the o.s. hoping that would fix the problem.
i removed all the partitions, and tried to install ubuntu, but i get an error (i think I/O error 5),

(right now i'm running off the liveCD)

I think the problem is with the hard drive.

i would just like to completely wipe out the hard drive and make it like new. but i don't know how.

if there are some physically damaged sectors, is there a was to just partition around those bad parts?

please help

lykwydchykyn
July 31st, 2009, 05:59 AM
hello,
i've been having a lot of issues with my computer lately.
I decided to reinstall the o.s. hoping that would fix the problem.
i removed all the partitions, and tried to install ubuntu, but i get an error (i think I/O error 5),

(right now i'm running off the liveCD)

I think the problem is with the hard drive.

i would just like to completely wipe out the hard drive and make it like new. but i don't know how.

filling the drive with zeros should suffice. You can do this from a terminal on the live CD with the following command:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

if there are some physically damaged sectors, is there a was to just partition around those bad parts?

please help

I don't know if the graphical partitioner has the option, but the format command (mkfs.ext3) should take a "-c" switch that will skip bad sectors. It takes longer because it has to scan the drive.

IME a drive with bad sectors is usually a drive that will soon have more bad sectors. I'd run "badblocks -v /dev/sda" to see how extensive the damage is.

rhythmiccycle
August 3rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
thanks for your help,

it turns out, the problem was with the CD-ROM not the HD.

i changed it, and now everything is installing fine