PDA

View Full Version : Applied for a job with Google recently? I have a question for you.

nobodysbusiness
July 31st, 2009, 12:56 AM
A few weeks ago, I submitted a job application using Google's web-based job application form, and the thank-you page stated that I would "receive an automated email confirmation message within 24 hours."

Unfortunately, I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail, and so I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if their application system has a bug. I admit that it might seem a little strange for me to be worrying about a silly confirmation e-mail, but I did put a lot of effort into my cover letter and resume, and would at least like to know for sure that they received it. I'd feel a lot better if I'm not the only one that this has happened to.

If you've applied to Google recently, did you get a confirmation e-mail? If you haven't applied to Google yet, but would like to work there... maybe this would be a good time to submit an application :)

Can anyone help me figure this out?

nobodysbusiness
August 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Found the answer on the Google Jobs twitter (http://twitter.com/googlejobs). A post on Aug. 5 apologizes for the bug.

TuckLive
August 13th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Good Luck! :cool:

DeadSuperHero
August 13th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Best of luck. One of my big dreams is to work for Google someday in California. Let's hope you get in, and who knows, maybe we'll be work buddies someday!

keiichidono
August 13th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'm a high school dropout and even though i have big ideas, a company like google wouldn't wanna hire me. :P

Vostrocity
August 13th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Well good luck to you. A job at Google would be awesome.

Off topic: Gosh even Google's using Twitter. I hate Twitter but it's so hard to stay away! :lolflag:

Tristam Green
August 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm a high school dropout and even though i have big ideas, a company like google wouldn't wanna hire me. :P

You would be surprised.

If you can prove you know your stuff, and actually have ambition and are willing to get some relevant certifications, you could get a job with them more than likely.

koenn
August 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM
You would be surprised.

If you can prove you know your stuff, and actually have ambition and are willing to get some relevant certifications, you could get a job with them more than likely.
Yes, they look for talent, competence, and personality rather than school results or whatever. Although just having "big ideas" might not be sufficient.

Tristam Green
August 13th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, they look for talent, competence, and personality rather than school results or whatever. Although just having "big ideas" might not be sufficient.

Right, but that's what I was alluding to, of course.

koenn
August 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
hm, my allusion detector must be a little off.
:)

keiichidono
August 15th, 2009, 12:27 PM
You would be surprised.

They do programming tests, i can't even subtract well. =\ What i want to do is incrementally wipe out ignorance world wide in all facets of life. Been learning the hard way that's not easy though, and even turned a gun on myself a few months ago because things just don't seem like they'll work out.

headflux
August 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Whilst Google is cool (I do use it as my default search engine), it is starting to feel (IMHO) a bit like a new Microsoft to me... anyone agree?

koenn
August 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Whilst Google is cool ... it is starting to feel (IMHO) a bit like a new Microsoft to me... anyone agree?
Depends ...
what do you mean with 'like a new microsoft' ?
as in "a startup that turned out very successful ?' They sure are.

headflux
August 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Depends ...
what do you mean with 'like a new microsoft' ?
as in "a startup that turned out very successful ?' They sure are.

I've no problem with a company being successful. Perhaps it's got something to do with the amount of 'airtime' given to them in the media. For example, Google announce the launch of Chrome and it's all over the media. Where as, you don't get anywhere near the same amount of coverage for say Firefox. It's the same with Chrome OS, the BBC for example were treating it like 'at last there's an alternative to Windows' er....

But I guess Google is firmly in the public conciousness, so it's not really that surprising.

Fair play to them, they've obviously got a great marketing department.

nobodysbusiness
August 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
As a quick update, I haven't heard anything back yet. In this economy, they probably aren't hiring much.

CalvinB: don't get discouraged. I'm sure you're learning a lot of great stuff using Ubuntu. I wish some of the software developers that I've worked with would be willing to invest a little effort in gaining new knowledge like that.

jheaton5
August 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Google or some other company notwithstanding, you need to get back into school, if you have any ambition. Most IT departments won't even look at you w/o a college degree.

What you get out is directly proportional to what you put in.

headflux
August 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Google or some other company notwithstanding, you need to get back into school, if you have any ambition. Most IT departments won't even look at you w/o a college degree.

That depends on where you live. Here in the UK, we put less emphasis on people having degrees (so many people have them now). Even when you do have a degree, the subject tends not be important. We more judge ability, over qualifications. For example, I left University 12 years ago with a degree in Fine Art. I got a deskside support job at IBM, and worked my way up. I left after 7 years and now I'm Head of IT for major organisation.

So I do agree with your statement

What you get out is directly proportional to what you put in.

Also, when I recruit, I often find those without degrees, but with experience and a strong work ethic turn out to be the better employees.

stwschool
August 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yep, I always found my portfolio of past work was what got me jobs (100% success rate of interviews to job offers, I'm proud of that) rather than my relatively mediocre qualifications (UK at the time).

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Where would be good places and positions to work before i get into google? I would want to help them [google] increase user privacy (like auto-erase database if compromised) and work on linux and open source related projects.

koenn
August 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Where would be good places and positions to work before i get into google? I would want to help them [google] increase user privacy (like auto-erase database if compromised) and work on linux and open source related projects.
My guess is, for that type of work, google will look for someone who, at least,
a) is knowledgeable and skilled in Linux system administration (that's the infrastructure that their soutions run on)
b) is skilled in programming, preferably in the languagues they use (I think that's at least C++ and phyton)
c) has a good understanding of how open source projects function, preferably from experience in such a project.
d) is capable of thinking outside the box in the fields of a), b) and c).

But go look at the type of job offerings they have, and what their requirements are for these jobs : that will give you an idea of what they're looking for. Then find out where you can acquire those skills, knowledge and experience.

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 11:52 AM
My guess is, for that type of work, google will look for someone who, at least,
a) is knowledgeable and skilled in Linux system administration (that's the infrastructure that their soutions run on)
b) is skilled in programming, preferably in the languagues they use (I think that's at least C++ and phyton)
c) has a good understanding of how open source projects function, preferably from experience in such a project.
d) is capable of thinking outside the box in the fields of a), b) and c).

But go look at the type of job offerings they have, and what their requirements are for these jobs : that will give you an idea of what they're looking for. Then find out where you can acquire those skills, knowledge and experience.

a) working on my skills

b) i'm sure i can learn python but c++ is too much for me. i can learn vala which would be thinking outside the box. :P

c) working on learning that.

d) i can think around the box. :KS

koenn
August 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
d) i can think around the box. :KS
there is no box.

keiichidono
August 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
there is no box.

Exactly.

nobodysbusiness
August 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM
If you haven't done a lot of programming in the past, then Python would be an ideal starting point. Easy enough for beginners, powerful enough for professionals.