PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i need help to make my webcam work

Maios
July 31st, 2009, 12:04 AM
plz help me letting my web cam work ... am new here and don't know how to do anything
i just bought a cam ' live! cam chat '' and when i inserted the installation CD into the CD-ROm drive .. it did not worked as the manual said !! i tried to figure out why but i coudln't
i really need help here cause it seemd that i know nothing about this thing!!
plz help me

running_rabbit07
July 31st, 2009, 12:13 AM
Have you already tried just plugging the camera in?

Chances are your install cd is for Microsoft not Linux.

Maios
July 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM
yes i pluged it in ... and there is nothing :(

running_rabbit07
July 31st, 2009, 12:27 AM
I don't have a webcam hooked up but I just did a search in Synaptic Package Manager under System>Administration menu and there are a few different webcam programs there. Search through and find one that you think will work for you and give it a try.

bcschmerker
July 31st, 2009, 08:04 AM
plz help me letting my web cam work ... am new here and don't know how to do anything
i just bought a cam ' live! cam chat '' and when i inserted the installation CD into the CD-ROm drive .. it did not worked as the manual said !! i tried to figure out why but i coudln't
i really need help here cause it seemd that i know nothing about this thing!!
plz help meBad choice of a camera; to my knowledge, the "Live! Cam Chat" is NOT supported in any of the packages available in any Ubuntu version. Check out the LinUX USB Video Class (http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/) page at BerliOS.de (hosted by Fraunhofer GmbH) for Webcams supported under most LinUX distros.

I recently installed a Dynex DX-USB1C webcam (http://www.dynexproducts.com/) and, notwithstanding CamServ's crashing upon unexpected error conditions such as a streaming-link break, it operates pretty consistently. The UVCVideo source package from BerliOS includes improved versions of several drivers already available as Debian-Source packages (typically BZip2 tape-archives) in the Ubuntu repositories.

no2498
September 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM
dont give up yet
try it in the termial
type
gstreamer-properties
play with the video v4l and v4l2