PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing new Repositories or Sources

MadHatter21
July 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I am very new to linux and ubuntu and am having trouble adding a source. I have been in software sources for some time now trying to get a repository to work with no sucess. I am trying to add the http://archive.offensive-security.com/ backtrack rep, but i do not know what words i need to put infront of the actual url, e.g. deb, and after the url, e.g. main universe. I do not know what to put for those parts of adding the rep. Anything is welcome

Thanks
MadHatter21

SoftwareExplorer
July 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Are you sure that the repository is for ubuntu? If I understand their website it is for their distribution, pwnsauce.* It's usually not a good idea to use repositories for other distributions because things aren't necessarily going to work together, or they might install new versions of the same thing that aren't compatible.

*I guessed this from the folder structure. I could be wrong. If they specifically say that the repository would work than just ignore me.

MadHatter21
July 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Yes your right, I wanted their rep because all of the tools the have on it. Do you know of any similar reps that have all of the similar tools for ubuntu repo though?

Thanks for the help
MadHatter21

SoftwareExplorer
July 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I don't know of any similar ones off the top off my head, but some (maybe most?) of the programs that are in their repository are in ubuntu's default repository.