PDA

View Full Version : Would you be worried?

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
if half of the recent visitors in your profile are mods/admins?:D

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Nope. I don't do anything worth investigating on these forums, I try to be helpful and friendly, so if mods and admins where looking at my account, I would assume I was on the list of potential moderators :)

doas777
July 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
depends on whether I had made obnoxious comments recently....

not really. most of the community doesn't care about the social aspect of the forums, but since the mods/admins are here all the time, and their job is to evaluate posts and posters, you are more likely to have your profile accessed by Kiwinz than by me.

Eisenwinter
July 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
No. For all you know, they might find you interesting, and want to get to know you better by looking at your profile.

chucky chuckaluck
doh! made me look.

Viva
I've just come across a profile that had 4 or 5 recent visits from the mods

sydbat
July 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
if half of the recent visitors in your profile are mods/admins?:DWhat have you done now???:P

lisati
July 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
It doesn't worry me too much if the mods and admins keep an eye on my activity here at the forums - it gives them something to do and helps me keep out of trouble!

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
What have you done now???:P

Its not me. I have only two or three and one of them recently infracted me, so I'm not too worried.

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't be worried. For one thing, you might be on a list of potential mods, for another thing, they might just be trying to PM you, trying to get to know you, just curious, etc.

Mods and admins don't ban for the sake of banning.

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be worried. For one thing, you might be on a list of potential mods, for another thing, they might just be trying to PM you, trying to get to know you, just curious, etc.

Mods and admins don't ban for the sake of banning.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/Rebamodified/banhammer2ug.jpg

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
For the record, everyone who has had the misfortune to have posted before me, I have looked at your profile. ;)

But, seriously, it's no big deal. You wouldn't even notice us in the first place if we weren't in BOLD RED and BOLD DARK RED (and BOLD PINK GREEN if your name is Joeb454).

To be honest, my profile has had 3,160+ visits, I would be more worried about those "unknown strangers". :D

wojox
July 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Its not me. I have only two or three and one of them recently infracted me, so I'm not too worried.

Welcome to the club. :D

khelben1979
July 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
No. For all you know, they might find you interesting, and want to get to know you better by looking at your profile.

Agreed, thinking positive is the way to go!

Little Bit
July 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I'm already a little scared. My Daddy is so paranoid about me using Linux ("oh my God, she has been corrupted by a boy") that I'm only allowed to use my Ubuntu computer as long as it is NOT connected to the internet! So I use Robin's computer to go online and Robin got a note from the mods about multiple accounts. I'm scared I got him into trouble and I've been scared to even come back here. Robin talked me out of being too scared, though. I figure if he's not worried, I shouldn't be.

Amy

khelben1979
July 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Nice to see you here on this forum, Amy. :)

chriskin
July 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM

i'm way more worried finding that most of my recent visitors are people i don't know at all

:popcorn:

Bodsda
July 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Nope I'm not worried, if anything I like it, it is nice to know that I'm not just another entry in a database and they actually chose to browse to my profile.

I'm already a little scared. My Daddy is so paranoid about me using Linux ("oh my God, she has been corrupted by a boy") that I'm only allowed to use my Ubuntu computer as long as it is NOT connected to the internet! So I use Robin's computer to go online and Robin got a note from the mods about multiple accounts. I'm scared I got him into trouble and I've been scared to even come back here. Robin talked me out of being too scared, though. I figure if he's not worried, I shouldn't be.

Amy

Don't be worried about the mod's Amy, as long as there is a legitimate reason for two accounts to be accessed by the same IP address then there should not be an issue. They know that people share computers so as long as the accounts are not abusing the forums you really wont have anything to worry about.

It's good to see more women speaking out on the forums about things like this, I'm just sorry that you felt scared about coming to these forums. All of the mod's are friendly guys/gals, their not scouring the forums looking for people to ban (except tinivole (joke :))) if you have any issues that you feel uncomfortable about then a quick private message to KiwiNZ, matthew bodhi.zazen or any of the mods/admins will soon put your mind at ease.

Kind regards,

Bodsda

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Amy

Which is Robin's account? :)
I'm pretty sure nothing happened in that instance.

Paranoid about using Linux? ... I won't comment, as I've seen far too many instances of Parents being - in my eyes - over protective.

Yes
July 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Lol I'm more concerned as to why you were looking at my profile. Or anyone for that matter, there's literally nothing there.

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
That is one mean dad.

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Which is Robin's account? :)
I'm pretty sure nothing happened in that instance.

Paranoid about using Linux? ... I won't comment, as I've seen far too many instances of Parents being - in my eyes - over protective.

Robin -> Dixiedancer, I think.

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I will look at numerous accounts during the course of a day when investigation a myriad of issues. 99.99999999. mean nothing.

Unless ......................:evil:

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I will look at numerous accounts during the course of a day when investigation a myriad of issues. 99.99999999. mean nothing.

Unless ......................:evil:

Then you get to swing the banhammer?

On the topic of overprotectiveness, which Im fairly sure is not a word, I know many people who's parents need to be slapped. I don't see the point of putting up unreasonable limitations...

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Then you get to swing the banhammer?

On the topic of overprotectiveness, which Im fairly sure is not a word, I know many people who's parents need to be slapped. I don't see the point of putting up unreasonable limitations...

Now don't you go being mean to my Ban hammer it has feelings you know:D

DeadSuperHero
July 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Eh. I've gotten my share of infractions over the past year, usually for really stupid reasons that made my blood pressure boil.

Looking back, I have only one admin currently that has looked at my profile, but then again my profile's been looked at nearly 2,000 times.

Bodsda
July 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
On the topic of overprotectiveness, which Im fairly sure is not a word

It is a word

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/overprotective

it is a noun I believe.

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't like the term "banhammer".

Now Flamethrower is a better word to use... Burn those beans! :twisted:

lisati
July 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Eh. I've gotten my share of infractions over the past year, usually for really stupid reasons that made my blood pressure boil.

Looking back, I have only one admin currently that has looked at my profile, but then again my profile's been looked at nearly 2,000 times.

Over 2200 views for mine so far, no infractions that I've noticed (but a couple of friendly comments from the mods)

To the mods: keep up the good work - having "moderator" responsibilities elsewhere I can appreciate that looking after us lot has its challenges and rewards.

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM

This is on my profile "This page has had 7,280 visits" hmmmm I feel all exposed :p

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I don't like the term "banhammer".

Now Flamethrower is a better word to use... Burn those beans! :twisted:

I like "Banning Stick"

sanderella
July 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
If the mods looked at my profile, I'd be flattered. :KS

heroidi
July 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
bah i hate overprotective parents my dad loves what i do and he loves free software because i told him about it and he agrees about everything and i teached him about ubuntu now he loves it like i do but less...

im not afraid of the mods just afraid of the trollz.

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
If the mods looked at my profile, I'd be flattered. :KS

:KS Looking now :KS

sanderella
July 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Geee, thanks Tinyvole (flutters eyelashes) :D

DeadSuperHero
July 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
It is a word

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/overprotective

it is a noun I believe.

Erm, I rather believe it to be an adjective.

Bodsda
July 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Erm, I rather believe it to be an adjective.

Then I misunderstand the use of the 'n' at the end of the below statement as seen on the aforelinked site.

over·pro·tective·ness n.

Elfy
July 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Don't panic - I had followed someone else to your profile ;)

You want to see some of the names I've had turn up in the past.

jpeddicord
July 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Subtract the number of red names that appear on your profile from the black names. Multiply by the number of green names + 1, and you have the chance that we are conspiring against you. :mrgreen:

For some reason the Recent Visitors thing on my profile isn't working - it only shows people on my friends list.

EDIT: Whoops, it was a privacy setting. The Recent Visitors block was set to Only Friends. There we go!

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Geee, thanks Tinyvole (flutters eyelashes) :D

Oh come on, I had to send you a friends request, a visitor message and a private message to get your attention):P

Elfy
July 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
You got mine for free :lol:

heroidi
July 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
im not worried because they don't watch my profile muHAHaHAhAhAhAhAhahaha...
:evil: :tryumphousevilLaughgoAway:

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Subtract the number of red names that appear on your profile from the black names. Multiply by the number of green names + 1, and you have the chance that we are conspiring against you. :mrgreen:

For some reason the Recent Visitors thing on my profile isn't working - it only shows people on my friends list.

EDIT: Whoops, it was a privacy setting. The Recent Visitors block was set to Only Friends. There we go!

10 - 0 x 0 + 1 = 11

Hmmmmm. No red names in my profile visitors yet still a chance for a conspiracy. Something fishy going on here... :-k

sydbat
July 30th, 2009, 08:59 PM
This is on my profile "This page has had 7,280 visits" hmmmm I feel all exposed :pPull up your pants!

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
10 - 0 x 0 + 1 = 11

Hmmmmm. No red names in my profile visitors yet still a chance for a conspiracy. Something fishy going on here... :-k

You have that the wrong way round...

(0 - 10) x (0 + 1) = -10

Although, now it is -8 after that little episode. :)

Viva
you got mine for free :lol:

:d

Bodsda
10 - 0 x 0 + 1 = 11

Unfortunately, your maths is incorrect, congratulations you just imploded the universe by dividing by zero!

EDIT: hmm, maybe I was a bit hasty posting that. BIDMAS dictates that Multiplication should be performed before addition and then subtraction, so I would have thought you had done

n = 0 x 0
n + 1
n - 1

but apparently, according to my python interpreter, your math is correct. So the rules must be wrong, but if the rules are wrong then the universe is wrong, and as such all creations are wrong, meaning my python interpreter is wrong. omg, my head hurts.

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
You have that the wrong way round...

(0 - 10) x (0 + 1) = -10

#-o

Although, now it is -8 after that little episode. :)

uh oh...

aysiu
July 30th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'll be perfectly honest (but I can't speak on behalf of any of the other mods or admins)--if I look at your profile, there's a reason for it, and it doesn't usually mean something good.

It doesn't necessarily mean something bad, though.

The primary reason I look at profiles is to look at what other threads the user has started. This could be because I think she's created duplicate threads that need to be merged or deleted. Or it could be that I suspect the user of being a troll.

And if I suspect someone of being a spammer, I look at the post count. Since some people (like me) hide the beans, I have to then look at the profile in order to see the bean count.

If someone just joined yesterday and posted only threads linking to something external, I'm generally going to think that person is a spammer.

In the old days, you could click on the username and then see all the threads that user started. Now, you have to click on the username and then click through the profile and then statistics. Or do an advanced search on the username.

So, I don't know about the other staff, but if aysiu looks at your profile, it's not usually a good thing. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, but you're probably under suspicion of something.

Bodsda
July 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'll be perfectly honest (but I can't speak on behalf of any of the other mods or admins)--if I look at your profile, there's a reason for it, and it doesn't usually mean something good.

It doesn't necessarily mean something bad, though.

The primary reason I look at profiles is to look at what other threads the user has started. This could be because I think she's created duplicate threads that need to be merged or deleted. Or it could be that I suspect the user of being a troll.

And if I suspect someone of being a spammer, I look at the post count. Since some people (like me) hide the beans, I have to then look at the profile in order to see the bean count.

If someone just joined yesterday and posted only threads linking to something external, I'm generally going to think that person is a spammer.

In the old days, you could click on the username and then see all the threads that user started. Now, you have to click on the username and then click through the profile and then statistics. Or do an advanced search on the username.

So, I don't know about the other staff, but if aysiu looks at your profile, it's not usually a good thing. It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, but you're probably under suspicion of something.

/me goes to check if aysiu has looked at his profile

EDIT: Hmm, is there a way of reviewing the 3,047 visits I have had?

sydbat
July 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
/me goes to check if aysiu has looked at his profile

EDIT: Hmm, is there a way of reviewing the 3,047 visits I have had?I did and thought the exact same thing! Where's that "block mind reader" option...

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I did and thought the exact same thing! Where's that "block mind reader" option...

We have mind block buster , buster, buster thingys :P

imlinux
July 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
i think i would be worried, i have observed mods here are way too strict.Thats why i am refraining from posting anything new on this forum.

aysiu
July 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
i think i would be worried, i have observed mods here are way too strict.Thats why i am refraining from posting anything new on this forum.
I'm going to look at your profile right now.

(Just kidding.)

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM

(Just kidding.)

Now you are for it

aysiu has you sighted up da dum da dum da dum :D

schauerlich
July 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Why refrain? I just go with it.

sanderella
July 30th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Oh come on, I had to send you a friends request, a visitor message and a private message to get your attention):P

Hi):P

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM

OMG, they've found me !!!!

/me dons Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (http://zapatopi.net/afdb/)

lisati
July 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Too late, you already did with this post...... :)

On the whole I'd say the mods do a good job. The FF&H (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48) subforum, including the resolution centre, can make interesting reading and can provide some insight into the challenges the moderators face.

So far, I've had no cause to complain, on the rare occasion one of the moderators has had to call me to task about something.

ibuclaw
July 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM

I don't think we are strict in the slightest (infact, I am a self-confessed softy). If you are "Polite and Considerate" to all users at all times, then nothing can go wrong.

And for 99% of our forum users nothing has gone wrong ... but that doesn't stop us being fallible, and mistakes do happen/we do loose our patience/temper from time to time. It's OK, it's not the end of the world.

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 10:25 PM

(Just kidding.)

Now you are for it

aysiu has you sighted up da dum da dum da dum :D

Quit fooling around you two =)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/729/61350202.jpg

KiwiNZ
July 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Quit fooling around you two =)

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/729/61350202.jpg

Some one needs a tissue :P

FuturePilot
July 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Some one needs a tissue :P

Or a coffee cup holder. I hear CD trays make good ones :p

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I don't think we are strict in the slightest (infact, I am a self-confessed softy).

/me bans tinivole - too soft

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM

What if your thread is invaded by the red ones ?

starcannon
July 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Yes, and I'd immediately encrypt the map leading to my Nacho's and Mountain Dew.

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM
What if your thread is invaded by the red ones ?

:nervous:

y6FgBn)~v
July 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Don't worry, be happy... :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU)

bryonak
July 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Since aysiu is not on my recent visitors list, I guess everything's all right :D

jomiolto
July 31st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Oh, no! This made me look at my own profile page and it so harshly reminded me of my age :(

Superkoop
August 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
I don't really see a reason to be nervous about Admins/mods/etc visiting your profile, they're mostly normal anyways. I've had 800 some odd visitors, and I could care less...I have blogs/myspace/facebook/etc out there for people to see, and I don't much care if someone looks at my face on the Internets.

yabbadabbadont
August 1st, 2009, 01:08 AM
..., and I could care less...

So you do care, at least a little.

Or perhaps you meant to say, "and I couldn't care less..."? ;)

lisati
August 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM
So you do care, at least a little.

Or perhaps you meant to say, "and I couldn't care less..."? ;)

+1 with that observation

Humanum
August 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
I've just come across a profile that had 4 or 5 recent visits from the mods

Was it my profile ?

Just kidding but in case they come to visit me, I don't mind...