PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Themes broken, always blue + regular GNOME icons

Aaron44126
July 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm having a problem where, no matter which theme I select in the "Appearance" control panel, I have blueish Window borders and the default GNOME icon set. It looks pretty ugly to me. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I rebooted yesterday after the kernel update, and this problem started. However, I've tried booting with the old kernel (2.6.28-13) and the problem is still there, so I don't think the kernel update actually broke anything.

Thanks!

http://aaron-kelley.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/broken-theme.png

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I ran into a similar problem when I added KDE, but it was an easy fix. Sounds like the method I used won't work for you. Besides, my problem was getting the normal GNOME folders back.

Even if I put my theme up somewhere, it wouldn't help you, would it? I could make a modification up and see if I could upload the theme somewhere.

Aaron44126
July 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for your reply, but I am also not sure if that would help. My problem is, I can't get the icons or the "general look" (except window borders) to change at all, no matter which theme or icon set I choose. So, I don't think installing another theme would help.

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Well, do you want to try it? Like I said, I'd make a modification to it to use the folder icons you want.

Aaron44126
July 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Well, sure. I'll try anything, I suppose. :-P

Dullstar
July 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
If I can figure out where the themes are stored. =P

tjok
August 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm having a problem where, no matter which theme I select in the "Appearance" control panel, I have blueish Window borders and the default GNOME icon set. It looks pretty ugly to me. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I rebooted yesterday after the kernel update, and this problem started. However, I've tried booting with the old kernel (2.6.28-13) and the problem is still there, so I don't think the kernel update actually broke anything.

Thanks!

I got this problem today as I did an update. The updates did not include kernel update (actually running older kernel due to wlan issues). My session worked ok even after the updates, but when my wife logged in her desktop looked just like yours (also tested another account). After logout and login I got the same problems (and also Gnome power manager complaining about missing schema).

I'm running 8.04 LTS, I quess you are running newer version based on kernel release. But the problem feels just the same!

My update included just these packages:

libgvfscommon0
gvfs-backends
gvfs
gvfs-fuse
libnautilus-extension1
nautilus-data
nautilus

Toni

Aaron44126
August 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for your message! I am glad that I am not the only one with the problem.

I think an update caused it too. I have no idea which one. I didn't notice until a kernel update came along and made me reboot (and thus log out and log back in).

I've tried creating a new account, and it had the problem too. So, it's not an account-specific thing.

Since this is on a machine that I don't use for much anything except remote backup, I am quite sure that I didn't do anything to cause the problem. Pretty much just an update left to blame... anyway, since this is a machine that I don't use much, I've kind of given up on the problem for now. I don't know what to do, since I couldn't find any reference to a similar problem while Googling. But please post back if you figure anything out, or have any leads...

Thanks again!

tjok
August 2nd, 2009, 12:19 AM
I found it!!! :D

After googling I run into this old thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=810176

From there I tried this hack:

cd /usr/share/gconf/schemas/
sudo /usr/sbin/gconf-schemas --register *.schemas

After that reboot is needed (logout + login won't do it)

It looks like something in the update fried all the gnome schemas.

8.04 LTS is now back in business.

Toni

Aaron44126
August 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
No luck, still broken here. :-(

Dullstar
August 2nd, 2009, 02:32 AM
There was a very recent update...

Does that one do anything?

Aaron44126
August 2nd, 2009, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean.
I am fully up to date, and it is broken.

[Edit, Aug 4]
Looks like this may be caused by FreeNX... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1231195)

Aaron44126
August 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Fixed. gnome-settings-daemon was crashing, see this bug (https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/199245).

Run gconf-editor.
Navigate to /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/plugins/keyboard.
Uncheck the "Active" box on the right.
Log out and log back in.

This disables the "keyboard" plug-in for gnome-settings-daemon. I'm not exactly sure what this plug-in does at the moment, but my keyboard is still working fine. :-P