PDA

View Full Version : what is story of empathy and pidgin, is pidgin going to be discontinued?

legolas_w
July 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hi
I read some blogs about empathy and pidgin and empathy replacing pidgin in next major version of ubuntu. I am wondering whether this projects are going to be merged or Canonical is switching to empathy?

Thanks.

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
*Shrugs* sense I usually use MSN Messenger I use amsn in the repo. (Its in Jaunty's repo at least)

Nevon
July 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, Empathy will be installed by default in 9.10. Pidgin will continue to be developed, and it will still be in the repositories. It's just not going to be the default instant messenger client.

Sublime Porte
July 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I am wondering whether this projects are going to be merged or Canonical is switching to empathy?

Since pidgin is a completely independant project that predates Ubuntu by many years, It's unlikely pidgin is going to end just because Ubuntu are choosing not to include it by default anymore :)

Sublime Porte
July 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
*Shrugs* sense I usually use MSN Messenger I use amsn in the repo. (Its in Jaunty's repo at least)

Being dependant upon Microsoft for a closed messaging protocol is worse than being dependant upon them for an OS! I can't believe people still _choose_ to use MSN messenger. Like having an email account with a provider who dictated you could only email others on the same server.

fluteflute
July 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Being dependant upon Microsoft for a closed messaging protocol is worse than being dependant upon them for an OS! I can't believe people still _choose_ to use MSN messenger. Like having an email account with a provider who dictated you could only email others on the same server.
Using MSN is usually not a choice. (or the choice is between communicating with people using msn, or not communicating with them at all)

Excedio
July 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Using MSN is usually not a choice. (or the choice is between communicating with people using msn, or not communicating with them at all)

I can understand if you don't like Pidgin, but saying "not communicating with them at all" is not true without aMSN or MSN Messanger.

Take note of different types of accounts Pidgin handles...

binbash
July 30th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I am glad to see its replaced by empathy.Because they were going to implement video and voice chat for years.

legolas_w
July 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Empathy is not as feature rich as pidgin. for example, it does not provide auto-complete when you want to pm some one and you must search in your friend list manually to find the username and sending the pm.

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM

:rolleyes: I use msn because all my friends and relatives use it. Do you expect me to convince them all to either a) switch, inwhich case they'd have to convince all their contacts to switch or b) get them to use a different protocol just to talk to me, when I don't even use it all the time? Give me a break.

gnomeuser
July 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM

Fact remains that MSN is widely used and some of us actually do have existing friends. We do not want to come across as religious nuts who force everyone to convert to fit our standards.

Aside that there is no product in open source that has good audio+webcam support that is as easy to setup as MSN is for the Windows user. It is mighty hard to argue with how easy it is and how well it works for them.

Hopes should rather be focused on encouraging Microsoft to switch to a jabber backend for their MSN Messenger product than pestering your friends. If ICQ and AIM can experiment with moving their massive existing implementations onto XMPP then surely Microsoft can as well. I actually think there is quite good prospects for this as a long term solution.

Sublime Porte
July 31st, 2009, 12:28 AM

Well, there are ways to connect to the MSN network without actually using MSN, such as using a Jabber gateway. I don't use MSN, but I am still able to contact people who only use MSN.

Do you expect me to convince them all to either...

Nope, I expect _you_ to switch to using their proprietary closed system...

Sublime Porte
July 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Aside that there is no product in open source that has good audio+webcam support that is as easy to setup as MSN is for the Windows user. It is mighty hard to argue with how easy it is and how well it works for them.

I doubt people using MSN because it's easy. I think it's just because it happens to be installed on their OS. Rather than have to download an extra client, register with a new network etc.

Hopes should rather be focused on encouraging Microsoft to switch to a jabber backend for their MSN Messenger product than pestering your friends.

I sincerely doubt that is going to happen, not in the forseeable future anyway. Since Google has adopted XMPP, Microsoft cannot permit itself to.