PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very long hang on installing 9.04

hashbangbinbash
July 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I've been trying to upgrade my pc from 8.10 to 9.04, but on boot it hangs for a very loooong time on "Loading hardware drivers"
and progresses no further.

My hardware is quite old, made from bits an bobs I had lying around for awhile. Not sure if this is a RAM issue or what, and unfortunately I can't recall my specs. But would appreciate it if someone could tell me, is it worth giving the thing a couple of hours to get on with it? Or is there some old kit (mainboards, hdds, RAM etc from the last six/seven years) that Ubuntu 9.04 just won't work with?

stlsaint
July 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
well i would expect micro$oft to not be compatible with old hardware but not ubuntu...have you tried older versions...try around two kernels back. try the version before jaunty and if that doesnt work than get some third party software that will give you the sys info and post them here!

stlsaint
July 30th, 2009, 02:29 PM
sorry missed the part about you currently using 8.10...just go straight to third party software that will give you all sys info and post...i recommend acronis acitve disk suite!!

hashbangbinbash
July 30th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the response.

Is it possible to rollback though? I neglected to create a startup disk before attempting the upgrade, and now the system won't startup, I'd like to rollback. I've got a 7.10 and an 9.04 LiveDisk, although I'd upgraded my way to 8.10 and then the 9.04 attempt online.

Can a Live Disk be used to roll-back? I didn't see an option to do so in the LD boot menu, but maybe if I run off the Live Disk I can rescue my 8.10 system...

stlsaint
July 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
yes you can go back to a previous kernel...as you choose what os to boot to you should see multiple options something like : ubuntu 2.8.34.14 generic...or somthing similar. The newest one will be the one on top...your 8.10 kernel will be underneath under your recovery kernel! yes its possible so dont use your menu.lst command or startup manager to get rid of these kernels!!

regala
July 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the response.

Is it possible to rollback though? I neglected to create a startup disk before attempting the upgrade, and now the system won't startup, I'd like to rollback. I've got a 7.10 and an 9.04 LiveDisk, although I'd upgraded my way to 8.10 and then the 9.04 attempt online.

Can a Live Disk be used to roll-back? I didn't see an option to do so in the LD boot menu, but maybe if I run off the Live Disk I can rescue my 8.10 system...

the only sane way (by sane I mean that which won't make you go insane) is to reinstall... If you have another spare disk or partition, now's the time to use it, either to backup some important data thru the LiveCD, or to install 8.10 upon, because reinstalling will wipe out, at least your / filesystem.

stlsaint
July 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
the only sane way (by sane I mean that which won't make you go insane) is to reinstall... If you have another spare disk or partition, now's the time to use it, either to backup some important data thru the LiveCD, or to install 8.10 upon, because reinstalling will wipe out, at least your / filesystem.

that may not always be the best option...say you want to keep your current filesystem(swap, / ) or data! a rollback will enable this if you had the same kernel/filesystem base setup!

merlinus
July 30th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I may be wrong, but most of the filesystem is updated and/or replaced in every new version. Otherwise, it wouldn't be new... :)

So rolling back is a very poor option, if not impossible.

Best to back up data, and install the previous version.

stlsaint
July 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
i stand corrected!

hashbangbinbash
July 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM
I may be wrong, but most of the filesystem is updated and/or replaced in every new version. Otherwise, it wouldn't be new... :)

So rolling back is a very poor option, if not impossible.

Best to back up data, and install the previous version.

I concur.