PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login Screen Error

redenex
July 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi guys, earlier yesterday I did the upgrade of my Jaunty 64 bit and the new kernel was installed from the repository. The system asked for a reboot, but once I rebooted, I am not able to see the login screen, I guess there is some xserver problem? Can someone guide me to restore the system without a reinstall? Thank you.

redenex
July 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
bump :P

redenex
July 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM
:confused:

redenex
July 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
no one to guide?

manlypain
July 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have the same problem. I have been searching the forums and found a few threads but no definite answers. I booted into the recovery mode for the default kernel and told it to fix the graphics (last option) it then let me in. i then reenabled the default nvidia drivers but had to reboot to take affect. it takes me back to no login but now i have a mouse cursor. i switched over to tty2 and ran top. gdmgreeter is using 100%. it has to be related with that nvidia driver. a coworker suggested running running the package checker in the recovery list since the error came after the updates, he also said to check if ubuntu-restricted-extras got removed with the update. it has happened before but its crazy rare.

redenex
July 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thank you but how do I do it in the recovery mode? Using command prompt?

manlypain
July 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
i figured out my issues

but first to get into recovery you hit escape whe grub starts (right after bios) you have 2 seconds to hit it.

I fixed mine by loading up normally ( but not working) then going over to tty2 ( ctrl-alt-F2) then running

sudo service gdm stop
startx

x started up fine so i knew it was gdm
so i reconfigured gdm automatically after i logged out of gnome ( like normal, it took me back to the prompt)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

then i rebooted
it worked after that
hope this helps

redenex
July 31st, 2009, 04:35 AM
Well, to me the problem is when I run startx.

Will see what best I can do, else I would go for a clean install. :KS

Thank you.

Dullstar
July 31st, 2009, 04:38 AM
Something's wrong. Either bad hardware, or a bad installation... if those suggestions don't work, that is.

redenex
July 31st, 2009, 04:52 AM
Yes I understand. as I mentioned in the first post, everything was perfect untill I installed the latest kernel updates from the repository. :guitar::confused:

redenex
July 31st, 2009, 11:42 AM
I did a clean install. Easy way out, perhaps not a good thing I know, thanks for the help.

redenex
August 2nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
The problem is when I install the new kernel 2.6.28-14

With 2.6.28-11 everything works fine. for now I am abstaining from upgrading to the new one.