PDA

View Full Version : Opera removed from 9.04 repos?

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I checked the add/remove for opera when firefox started acting up, and it seems to be gone. Is there a reason for it's removal? Is it incompatible or simply unpopular?

ghindo
July 30th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I don't believe that Opera has ever been in the repositories.

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Maybe my terminology is wrong then, but I know I could download it from the add/remove menu in 8.10.

Majorix
July 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Opera has its own .deb repo, I installed Opera from there.

seteshf
July 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Installing Opera from the standalone rpm/deb package will add their repository, it's how they implement their auto-upgrade on Linux.

dmizer
July 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I don't believe that Opera has ever been in the repositories.

It hasn't. Since Opera is not OSS it can't be built by Ubuntu packagers for Ubuntu.

Colonel Kilkenny
July 30th, 2009, 08:47 AM
It hasn't. Since Opera is not OSS it can't be built by Ubuntu packagers for Ubuntu.

Opera has been in Ubuntu 3rd party commercial (or whatever it was) repository.

seteshf
July 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Opera has been in Ubuntu 3rd party commercial (or whatever it was) repository.

Yeah, they never let you install it on x86-64 systems though which sucked because you had to override dpkg to get the standalone DEB to work.

That's what I never understood about Debian packaging. x86-64 is just a superset of x86, not some completely foreign architecture. RPM doesn't _care_ if the user installs a x86 package, why exactly does Dpkg?

Thankfully Opera has an x86-64 native package now, and Ubuntu shouldn't really be packaging Opera anyway when Opera can do a better job managing their own repo.

kostkon
July 30th, 2009, 09:51 AM
According to the ubuntu documentation page for Opera (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OperaBrowser), you need to add the following line to your software sources list:

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free
and to add the key, give the following in a terminal:

wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add -

jamest09
July 30th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Never used Opera and never intend to

coldReactive
July 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
never intend to

Ever since I used it once, I removed it, and now this applies to me too.

Arup
July 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Wish there was a way to remove Firefox, never worked for me in Windows or Ubuntu and I feel its unethical to bundle any browser, let the user decide. Opera's lawsuit against MS should be extended to Linux distros as well, those bundling brosers, free or non free. The fact that apt gets integrated in FF is another facet that really irks me.

Viva
July 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Wish there was a way to remove Firefox, never worked for me in Windows or Ubuntu and I feel its unethical to bundle any browser, let the user decide. Opera's lawsuit against MS should be extended to Linux distros as well, those bundling brosers, free or non free. The fact that apt gets integrated in FF is another facet that really irks me.

Both windows and IE are products of microsoft and they have a monopoly in desktop market with windows. Ubuntu neither has a monopoly nor is Firefox a canonical product. Besides, Microsoft's biggest crime was to blackmail OEMs into installing IE and forcing them not to include an alternate browser.

dmizer
July 30th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Let's stay on topic.

Just as a reminder, the topic is why Opera is no longer a part of the repos, not "is $browser good/bad/evil/appropriate" etc.

bodhi.zazen
July 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
let's stay on topic.

Just as a reminder, the topic is why opera is no longer a part of the repos, not "is $browser good/bad/evil/appropriate" etc.

+1

Arup
July 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
The sad part is Opera is not even included in medibuntu repos when rmpfusion includes it in Fedora, so do many other distros, hardcore and others, Medibuntu has all other so called non free stuff so why leave Opera out and give it step motherly treatment. I just have a strong suspicion that team Firefox has some real stranglehold on Canonical regarding this matter.

23meg
July 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Medibuntu has all other so called non free stuff so why leave Opera out and give it step motherly treatment. I just have a strong suspicion that team Firefox has some real stranglehold on Canonical regarding this matter.

Canonical has nothing to do with Medibuntu.

Cenotaph
July 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Opera used to be in the canonical's partner repository but it got outdated fast and it wasn't available there already in 8.10. In fact, i think the reference to the package was removed from previous versions of ubuntu as well.

earrame
July 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Good topic. When I switched from Mepis to Ubuntu last Summer I retrieved the .deb from the Opera site to install. I noticed over the months that it never appeared on the updates. I've been thinking I need to get around to checking my sources and see if I can add Opera.

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I do see why it isn't there anymore though. The interface is extremely outdated in the linux version. It even changes your mouse, and the whole thing reminds me of windows 2000. Im extremely disappointed to say the least. (Sudo apt-get remove opera)

doorknob60
July 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I do see why it isn't there anymore though. The interface is extremely outdated in the linux version. It even changes your mouse, and the whole thing reminds me of windows 2000. Im extremely disappointed to say the least. (Sudo apt-get remove opera)

10.0 beta finally has a native qt interface that looks decent and uses your theme. And a 64 bit native build for it too, finally.

magmon
July 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
10.0 beta finally has a native qt interface that looks decent and uses your theme. And a 64 bit native build for it too, finally.

That is excellent news. I may try it again after 10.0 is released as a stable build.