PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu boots to grub command

bcosmann
July 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hello,

I just recently installed Ubuntu 9.0.4 desktop on my Intel Macbook Pro which is dual booting mac osx and ubuntu with rEFIt. Everything was working fine until I restarted after installing some desktop customization programs such as avant and screenlets. I also modified appletouch.fdi using

sudo gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/appletouch.fdi

then pasting the following information

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
<merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">3</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">2</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.FingerLow" type="string">10</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.FingerHigh" type="string">20</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.PressureMotionMinZ" type="string">10</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger1" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger2" type="string">3</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger3" type="string">2</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

After rebooting and selecting linux from rEFIt it goes to loading grub stage 2 then leaves me at a grub> command prompt.

Any help with the would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dstew
July 30th, 2009, 03:26 PM
At the grub> prompt enter
find /boot/grub/menu.lstIf it returns a value, like (hd0,1), enter that as the partition in the command
configfile (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lstThat should get you a menu, if you have one.

Another thing to try is to boot Ubuntu using the command line. Use the result of the find command above as the argument to the root command as below, and use the kernel and initrd commands to set up Ubuntu to boot. You can use the tab-complete feature of grub to show what kernels are available, and then re-enter the command to pick the one you want.
root (hd0,1)
kernel <tab>
initrd <tab>
bootIf this doesn't work, the behavior of the commands should give us a clue as to what is going wrong.

bcosmann
August 1st, 2009, 02:09 AM
At the grub> prompt enter
find /boot/grub/menu.lstIf it returns a value, like (hd0,1), enter that as the partition in the command
configfile (hd0,1)/boot/grub/menu.lstThat should get you a menu, if you have one.

Another thing to try is to boot Ubuntu using the command line. Use the result of the find command above as the argument to the root command as below, and use the kernel and initrd commands to set up Ubuntu to boot. You can use the tab-complete feature of grub to show what kernels are available, and then re-enter the command to pick the one you want.
root (hd0,1)
kernel <tab>
initrd <tab>
bootIf this doesn't work, the behavior of the commands should give us a clue as to what is going wrong.
Ok so I tried that and got the error file not found. I did some more research and it looks like my mac osx install mounted the linux partition probably because I originally partitioned it in mac osx so deleted the partition and created a new one with the ubuntu partition manager and reinstalled. All seems well...so far....