PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Dvorak.

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 04:08 AM
So far I have noticed that all the keys are very conveniently placed. Sadly, I have not mastered it yet. But getting much better at it. Also note that I am using it right now. I am very slow at it as of now, 1 second per letter.

Arup
July 30th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have been a hardcore MS Natural user from day one of its introduction, thats the only MS item I have been a dedicated user of, however DVORAK has always fascinated me and if I can get my hands on one, I would love to try it out. The newer MS Natural are not the same quality as the older ones.

Grant A.
July 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I'm too accustomed to QWERTY. Plus, I can't seem to find a DVORAK alternative for the US altgr-intl keyboard layout.

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I cant remember if that was advertised for 95 or 3.1

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I'm too accustomed to QWERTY. Plus, I can't seem to find a DVORAK alternative for the US altgr-intl keyboard layout.

Can you give me a pic of the keyboard? I bet I could work it out.

Grant A.
July 30th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Can you give me a pic of the keyboard? I bet I could work it out.

It's basically the normal U.S. QWERTY layout, but when you press altgr + a letter, another character appears on the screen.

Ex:

altgr + t = þ
altgr + s = ß
altgr + d = ð

And you can also use the symbol keys to get extra accents.

altgr + ` let go, then press: e = è
altgr + ^ let go, then press: j = ĵ

I can't seem to find a picture of Ubuntu's variant.

MikeTheC
July 30th, 2009, 07:16 AM
USA Dvorak International is about as close as I can find to the USA International AltGR Dead Keys, which is the Qwerty layout I use myself.

A while ago I tried using Dvorak here, but it was too traumatic and painful for me, so I switched back. Then I bought this keyboard from Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en) and that put an end to alternate layouts for me.

I decided I don't need any more crap in my life. I've enough going on (or about to start once school resumes) that adding extra stuff to that pile is not what I should be doing.

SirBismuth
July 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I have been a hardcore MS Natural user from day one of its introduction, thats the only MS item I have been a dedicated user of, however DVORAK has always fascinated me and if I can get my hands on one, I would love to try it out. The newer MS Natural are not the same quality as the older ones.

I am too quick now on QWERTY to consider changing to DVORAK, but will try it as well just to see what it's like. The idea of learning where all the keys are again just doesn't appeal to me!.

Yeah, I will admit that I have liked, and still like, MS Hardware. Am also a user of the their Natural keyboards, and am glad to see that I am not the only one that has noticed a quality difference.

B

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
The only problem I see with Dvorak is the uncommon use. I don't see very many Dvorak keyboards in public areas. So it probably would be best to master both, or carry your own keyboard.

Flimm
July 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
It's basically the normal U.S. QWERTY layout, but when you press altgr + a letter, another character appears on the screen.
I use USA Dvorak international, it doesn't has as many special characters as USA international, but it has all the ones I need for most European languages. I've attached a screenshot.

Dvorak users, unite! Join the ubuntuforums group: Dvorak users (http://ubuntuforums.org/group.php?groupid=60).

sydbat
July 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Then I bought this keyboard from Logitech (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en)...Drool...*I hate you*...drool...

RiceMonster
July 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
The problem, for me, with dvorak is it breaks the hjkl key binds in vim (this are used as arrow keys). Those keys are also used in other programs like dwm, less and tetris-bsd, so that makes things kind of inconvenient.

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 08:39 PM
VIm is open source, I bet you could compile it so that it is more convenient for Dvorak users. In fact, I bet there is a VIm for dvorak users.

dragos240
July 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Found this:
Using_Vim_with_the_Dvorak_keyboard_layout (http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_Vim_with_the_Dvorak_keyboard_layout)