PDA

View Full Version : New Linux User here

PcPro12
July 30th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to linux. I've tried a couple distros before, including ubuntu, and always came back to it. I'm still young at age, so I got years ahead to learn linux, etc...

I like technical stuff, programming, computer problem solving...I've worked with windows, xp, vista, win7, fixed people's PC's, and wanting to learn some programming...

So I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04, got it up and running, seems good, got the hang of it pretty quickly, few minutes and I knew my way around...I read more than half of the pocket ubuntu guide..I downloaded Ubuntu Server 9.04...and hardly got anything done...

So far, I got Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu Server 9.04, and burning Ubuntu 8.04 LTS right now, I also got a couple other distros, Debian, Kubuntu, and forgot other names...I'm having trouble with Ubuntu 9.04 because of it freezing, but that's being dealt with on another topic...So I'm going back to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS...

I like the thought of working with the terminal, doing stuff using commands, learning to program in python or what language it offers. So I'm looking to get WELL into linux. It's much faster and stable than windows, it's open source, and many other advantages. I've learned a few simple commands from the pocket guide and want to learn more.

I'm going to finish reading the pocket guide soon, once I get linux running again, and looking to continue my study of Linux and programming. I tend to want to learn fast and want guides that get down to the point...I really don't have any specs at to what I want a distro to do...I got other computers in the house that run windows, so anything I need, I have a backup...

So I would like to ask, if anyone can provide some more further studies I can do? To learn more about linux, any distro that can help me advance in my technical skills...any programming languages recommended to learn, I'm sure python is one of them...

I just want to learn linux and become a user in it, maybe someday after learning some programming languages, I'll help build or support a distro :D

Many thanks, and I'm glad to be a member of the Ubuntu Community and a linux user.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I posted it here so I don't make a mistake of posting it in the wrong forum. I'm just getting used to the forums as well...

-PcPro12

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Did you do all the upgrades for Ubuntu 9.04 after install? Also just recently a new kernel upgrade was released. You could try again. As usually the freezing aspect has something to do with the kernel.

PcPro12
July 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Did you do all the upgrades for Ubuntu 9.04 after install? Also just recently a new kernel upgrade was released. You could try again. As usually the freezing aspect has something to do with the kernel.

I have all the updates and upgrades installed...although I don't know how to update the kernel...if it's using the update manager and these commands...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

than I ran them...but now it's running fine (I'm on it right now) after having done several resets to the computer and left the hard drive for linux unplugged for about 30-60 minutes...I'm running linux on a separate 300gb hard drive...so I got plenty of space for linux :D

philcamlin
July 30th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I have all the updates and upgrades installed...although I don't know how to update the kernel...if it's using the update manager and these commands...

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradethan I ran them...but now it's running fine (I'm on it right now) after having done several resets to the computer and left the hard drive for linux unplugged for about 30-60 minutes...I'm running linux on a separate 300gb hard drive...so I got plenty of space for linux :D

PFFFT! i have a 40 gig partiton and i have 16gb of music and i have yet to reach 55%

woull neverfill 320gb :popcorn:

Unless you download movies :P

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 03:14 AM
lol like using the terminal huh? You can update through the GUI via Update Manager, System>Administration>Update Manager (third item from the bottom, unless customized otherwise).
Kernal Updates will come through like any other update, though you will have-to/should restart after it finishes updating.

PcPro12
July 30th, 2009, 03:22 AM
PFFFT! i have a 40 gig partiton and i have 16gb of music and i have yet to reach 55%

woull neverfill 320gb :popcorn:

Unless you download movies :P

hehe, so far, I used up 1.9GB, so I don't think I'll fill it anytime soon :D

lol like using the terminal huh? You can update through the GUI via Update Manager, System>Administration>Update Manager (third item from the bottom, unless customized otherwise).
Kernal Updates will come through like any other update, though you will have-to/should restart after it finishes updating.

yep, I like using the terminal...getting tired of GUI...but I don't know what to do with it...I learned simple commands, mv, ls, rm, cp, and their sub-commands, don't know what they're called... ls -a, etc...taking notes as well :D

I know ;) I did use the update manager, but later, used the commands...

ohh...alright, that means I already updated everything and restart my computer after updating...

EDIT: not saying I hate GUI now, I still like it, easier to use and stuff...but I like using terminal more...

MasterNetra
July 30th, 2009, 04:06 AM
ohh...alright, that means I already updated everything and restart my computer after updating...

EDIT: not saying I hate GUI now, I still like it, easier to use and stuff...but I like using terminal more...

Just whenever a Kernel upgrade is done, is when a restart is needed. Sometimes net drivers may want you to restart, not often though. (Again I note that Kernel Upgrades are done via normal updating.)

PcPro12
July 30th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Just whenever a Kernel upgrade is done, is when a restart is needed. Sometimes net drivers may want you to restart, not often though. (Again I note that Kernel Upgrades are done via normal updating.)
ohh... I see...alright...

Sealbhach
July 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Hi, these should help with learning the terminal:

http://linuxcommand.org/

http://www.linux.org/lessons/

http://ss64.com/bash/

PcPro12
July 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hi, these should help with learning the terminal:

http://linuxcommand.org/

http://www.linux.org/lessons/