PDA

View Full Version : Jim Clark's scathing commentary on Microsoft and Bush2

SeanBlader
July 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Netscape Founder “Jim Clark” On Fleeing Silicon Valley
http://www.webguild.org/2009/07/netscape-founder-jim-clark-on-fleeing-silicon-valley-part-3.php

People thought I was nuts until we generated $70 million of revenue in year one, and $300 million in year two. Microsoft killed the company, but at least AOL (TWX) bought us before we expired. Ironically, if Microsoft (MSFT) had focused on how to leverage it, rather than how to kill it, they might be in Google’s position today. Serves them right.

Ironically, just at the time we needed to accelerate to remain competitive in 2000, we elected the worst president in history. He not only focused on all the wrong things — starting wars, religious bigotry and zealotry, letting the financial system go unregulated, etc. — he cut R&D funding for science and technology.

Thanks largely to our insipid political leaders, we stalled for eight of the most important years in the past 100. The U.S. is resilient, but this is a lot to overcome. The world is pretty uniformly covered with smart people — we have no patent on that. And with the Web/Internet now enabling them to learn and grow just as rapidly as us, we are far worse off now than we were in 2000.

I think my long time sigfile describes Bush2 really well.

seteshf
July 30th, 2009, 12:13 AM
As for point 1.

Blaming Microsoft for your crappy product is passe. Anyone that actually had to suffer through Netscape Navigator 4.x deserves reparations.

AOL bought Netscape, couldn't figure out what to do with it, and got stuck with a $100 million investment in a "content portal" which is now AOL.com set to green.

Had Microsoft not come along and killed off Netscape, there'd be no Mozilla.org (they only started that when they were desperate and it was too late to save the company) and there wouldn't be a Firefox, and one company would still be dictating what the web was. (Even Microsoft has been tugged towards better standards compliance with IE lately)

As for point 2.

I can only apologize to the rest of the world and assure that I didn't vote for Bush so many times... The world seems to associate America with the imbecile that 49.999999999% of the country and a few Supreme Court judges gave us. That's really because they hated us to begin with and now have more ammunition.

dmizer
July 30th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Political topics are prohibited.

Thank you for participating.