PDA

View Full Version : Totally Non Linux- Linking two Kindles to make an "ebook"?

BastardNamban
July 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I recently had a cool idea- what if, say, I got 2 Amazon kindles (2 DXes would be sweet but $$$), stripped the enclosures, built a new one that linked the screens closely with a hinge, to make an "ebook"?

I'd disguise the outside of my new hinged enclosure as a real book of sorts, I'd wrap it in leather, give it a spine over the hinge, and conceal the kindles so that you could only see them when the "book" is open. Kind of like one of those fake books with a flask inside, except much more detailed.

The idea here is, though, to somehow sync both Kindles together, so that I could open the same ebook on both machines, and have a page and the next displayed next to each other, as in the real book. Turning the page would change both pages on each machine to the appropriate page. Of course, I'd link the storage in both, and enlarge them in each, maybe with multiple SD cards. In the end, I could read all my books (converted to PDFs with my own copy table setup) just like the real thing, 2 pages at once. The whole thing would be almost as portable as one kindle, but wrapped in a more "authentic" book enclosure. Like a magic book of sorts, able to show you anything loaded into it.

I doubt Amazon would ever bother to make something like this, even a simple dual Kindle with their own plastic enclosures, so a custom route seems the only way to go to get what I want.

What do you think? Any ideas? Could the syncing I want to do actually work? Is this somehow feasible?

HappinessNow
July 29th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I recently had a cool idea- what if, say, I got 2 Amazon kindles (2 DXes would be sweet but $$$), stripped the enclosures, built a new one that linked the screens closely with a hinge, to make an "ebook"?

I'd disguise the outside of my new hinged enclosure as a real book of sorts, I'd wrap it in leather, give it a spine over the hinge, and conceal the kindles so that you could only see them when the "book" is open. Kind of like one of those fake books with a flask inside, except much more detailed.

The idea here is, though, to somehow sync both Kindles together, so that I could open the same ebook on both machines, and have a page and the next displayed next to each other, as in the real book. Turning the page would change both pages on each machine to the appropriate page. Of course, I'd link the storage in both, and enlarge them in each, maybe with multiple SD cards. In the end, I could read all my books (converted to PDFs with my own copy table setup) just like the real thing, 2 pages at once. The whole thing would be almost as portable as one kindle, but wrapped in a more "authentic" book enclosure. Like a magic book of sorts, able to show you anything loaded into it.

I doubt Amazon would ever bother to make something like this, even a simple dual Kindle with their own plastic enclosures, so a custom route seems the only way to go to get what I want.

What do you think? Any ideas? Could the syncing I want to do actually work? Is this somehow feasible?Good Luck; but you would be wasting your time with the Kindle for this project, you should wait for and use Apple's new tablet computer that is set to make the Kindle obsolete.

Reference:
Apple's Tablet Computer! (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1224311)

master5o1
July 29th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Apple is going to release a tablet? What :|

benj1
July 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
or you could just read the books directly, or am i missing a point

BastardNamban
July 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Of course reading the original is better. But I have some books so dense, I can't read the whole thing yet, much less take it with me. I have some very rare books, valuable, and I prefer not to handle them unless needed. This would let me read them whenever and wherever I want, without worrying about damaging them.

And Apple is straight out NO. This is not Linux related, but on a Linux related site- do you really think I want anything Apple? Their record with DRM and lock in EVERYTHING makes me run screaming from anything they touch.
I don't own anything Apple, nor intend to in the future (iPods have terrible SNR, sound like ****, don't get me started)

The final reason for using Kindles is EPAPER. If I wanted a computer, I'd buy a tablet. I don't need a multifunction, booting device, with a normal screen. I want EPAPER. Much more readable. Ideally, I'd wait till something with color Epaper came out, but that could be awhile.

And, upon searching, it seems some people have already kind of done what I want in a cover, but for one Kindle. So the issue is now only syncing two Kindles. Also, it seems that many pictures of prototypes of things similar to what I propose, dual screen epaper reader, exist. I can't afford to wait for someone to market one- that could take years- I'd rather make my own anyway.

Warpnow
July 30th, 2009, 12:43 AM
A company has made and is soon to release an LCD panel that can switch into e-INK mode. Wait for THAT, then build your own from scratch or out of a laptop.

wmcbrine
July 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
do you really think I want anything Apple? Their record with DRM and lock in EVERYTHING makes me run screaming from anything they touch.The iTunes store is DRM-free these days (and as I understand it, it was Apple who always wanted to do that, and the RIAA who resisted it). Meanwhile, the Kindle is of course not only thoroughly DRM'd, but some customers recently had some of their "purchased" books yanked out of their hands -- taken away from them by Amazon, when the publishers retroactively changed their minds about making the books available. I don't think Apple ever did anything like that. (The customers got refunds, but still.)

And, upon searching, it seems some people have already kind of done what I want in a cover, but for one Kindle. So the issue is now only syncing two Kindles.That's like saying, "Well, I've got the first nickel; now all I need is the other $999,999.95." The cover is trivial. Getting the Kindles to do something that Amazon didn't intend them to do is a major project, if it's possible at all.

BastardNamban
July 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I'm aware of iTunes DRM (mostly lack thereof), and the recent yanking of 1984 and other titles from the Kindle. I am furious about the Kindle episode lately, but I have no personal hate of Amazon- yet. The Kindle DX is the only thing like it out there currently, and the only thing in Eink that big ever to likely be anywhere NEAR affordable in the next few years.

I have a personal hatred of Apple, I refuse to deal with anything they've touched. I have a Zen Vision M, much better sound quality. I'm sick of vendor lock in that exists with them, which is why I have a PC running Linux, and not a Mac.

I simply want nothing to do with Apple, ever, period. The elitist ******** hype that surrounds everything they do, the trendwhores, etc. The recent bull about iPhone unlocking being "terrorism", etc. Those people need to get bent.

I will never, ever, buy or touch anything Apple unless I am forced to do so at gunpoint. End of story.

wmcbrine
July 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I have a personal hatred of AppleWell, as long as you realize it's irrational...

BastardNamban
July 31st, 2009, 06:53 AM
Well, as long as you realize it's irrational...

It's only irrational if you don't have a founded reason for it, and I have plenty. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on them. The calling unlocking iphones thing=terrorism bull they've released lately just added a 50 gal drum of hydrochloric acid to the burning thermite pile, but hey, screw them.

The only thing I admire about Apple is their design, and even that sometimes is beyond ridiculous. The iPod user interface is perfect, in my opinion (I'd handled one long before the hatred overwhelmed me), but sound quality and SNR (non published, the ONLY company that refuses to) are shite.

A company has made and is soon to release an LCD panel that can switch into e-INK mode. Wait for THAT, then build your own from scratch or out of a laptop.

What company is this? I follow tech like this pretty closely, I haven't heard of this yet. Can you elaborate? I'd love to read about this.

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 06:58 AM
I'd rather read a REAL book.

BastardNamban
July 31st, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'd rather read a REAL book.

Again, so would I. I actually like the smell of a book, especially old books. Maybe that's strange, I don't care. The point of this project is the point of all portable readers- carry all your books with you without the weight when information rather than the real thing is paramount, especially to preserve rare & fragile books.

HappinessNow
July 31st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I'm aware of iTunes DRM (mostly lack thereof), and the recent yanking of 1984 and other titles from the Kindle. I am furious about the Kindle episode lately, but I have no personal hate of Amazon- yet. The Kindle DX is the only thing like it out there currently, and the only thing in Eink that big ever to likely be anywhere NEAR affordable in the next few years.

I have a personal hatred of Apple, I refuse to deal with anything they've touched. I have a Zen Vision M, much better sound quality. I'm sick of vendor lock in that exists with them, which is why I have a PC running Linux, and not a Mac.

I simply want nothing to do with Apple, ever, period. The elitist ******** hype that surrounds everything they do, the trendwhores, etc. The recent bull about iPhone unlocking being "terrorism", etc. Those people need to get bent.

I will never, ever, buy or touch anything Apple unless I am forced to do so at gunpoint. End of story.Sounds logical to me, after all Apple is truly the evil empire.

Giant Speck
July 31st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I could not see myself owning a tablet PC. I'm way too clumsy for that. I'm scared enough handling my iPhone.

Warpnow
August 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
What company is this? I follow tech like this pretty closely, I haven't heard of this yet. Can you elaborate? I'd love to read about this.

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/05/first-look-at-pixel-qis-outdoor-readable-screens.html

Sorry, forgot about this thread.