PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Assign WinKey to Applications in Gnome

Hoom@n
July 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Hi,
I saw WinKey is unusable in Ubuntu(am I right?), and I decided to assign it to Applications menu in left top corner of Gnome desktop; in that way I can also use arrow keys for Places and System. Is there any way to do that?
Thanks.

coffeecat
July 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Is there any way to do that?

Yes, there is.

System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Under 'Desktop', look for 'Show the panel's main menu'. It will be showing Alt + F1* as the shortcut. Click on the shortcut, press the Win key, and it will show "Super L" which is the Win key. If you now press the Win key, the Applications menu drops down, and you can move to the Places and System menu with the arrow keys, just as you want.

* Edit: Oops! Typo - fixed.

wojox
July 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Alt+F1 opens the menu and escape closes it if you don't make a choice.

Hoom@n
July 29th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yes, there is.

System > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Under 'Desktop', look for 'Show the panel's main menu'. It will be showing Alt + F2 as the shortcut. Click on the shortcut, press the Win key, and it will show "Super L" which is the Win key. If you now press the Win key, the Applications menu drops down, and you can move to the Places and System menu with the arrow keys, just as you want.
Thanks a lot! It's OK now.

coffeecat
July 29th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Alt+F1 opens the menu and escape closes it if you don't make a choice.

Yes, thanks for picking up my error. It was a typo - Alt+F2 instead of Alt+F1. I've edited my post.