PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash/sanitize your hands after you use a public/shared computer?

HappinessNow
July 29th, 2009, 07:56 PM
After the huge response on personal hygiene found in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1224747

It really brings up another question for computer-type geeks:

Do you wash/sanitize your hands after you use a public/shared computer?

The potentiality of a public computer; like at school or a library has just as much (if not more so) hazards to convey potential harmful germs to its unsuspecting or suspecting users.

As a policy I carry a small bottle of 'Waterless Hand Sanitizer' on me at all times, which I use frequently. Also, fortunately for me both the University I attend and local libray has 'waterless hand sanitizer' freely available for public use, which is activatited by placing your hands underneath the dispenser (no need to touch the dispenser).

Yes, I wash/sanitize my hands after using a public/shared computer

No, I do NOT wash/sanitize my hands after using a public/shared computer

dragos240
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I don't even see a point. Unless you're afraid of germs.

.Maleficus.
July 29th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I don't even see a point. Unless you're afraid of germs.
We did a lab in one of my sophomore science classes about germs and bacteria and my group decided to swab a computer mouse in one of our computer labs, a urinal handle and a door handle.

Guess which one was the worst? ;)

I voted yes, I do wash my hands.

HappinessNow
July 29th, 2009, 09:17 PM
We did a lab in one of my sophomore science classes about germs and bacteria and my group decided to swab a computer mouse in one of our computer labs, a urinal handle and a door handle.

I voted yes, I do wash my hands.My guess is the computer mouse from the computer lab.

It amazes me how many diligently wash there hands after using the rest room but skip sanitizing their hands after using a public computer which has more germs then the restroom door handles/flush knobs.

blueshiftoverwatch
July 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Since my line of work sometimes involves having to unclog sewer lines I don't worry that much about being exposed to germs from things like touching door knobs or publicly used keyboards.

If nothing else at least I'm probably building up a strong immune system.

khelben1979
July 30th, 2009, 03:16 PM
If nothing else at least I'm probably building up a strong immune system.

I voted no on this one.

Indeed. I usually wash my hands several times each day anyway. I believe that it's more important to focus on high quality food than be worried or concerned about these things.

Wiki about the Immune system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system) for anyone which is interested.

arcdrag
July 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I have several clean freak friends that get sick several times a year despite the fact that they probably go through gallons of antibacterial goop a year. On the other hand, I've got some friends that are pretty vile, and they rarely get sick. I fall somewhere in between, taking a shower daily, living in a clean house, and washing my hands a couple times a day. I generally get sick about once every 3 years or so.

Grenage
July 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Urine is pretty sterile, so I'm not surprised :)

SunnyRabbiera
July 30th, 2009, 04:51 PM
No, I am not that much of a germaphobe.

blueshiftoverwatch
July 31st, 2009, 04:48 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmMNdiCz_s) video seemed to be fitting.

magmon
July 31st, 2009, 04:53 AM

I voted yes, I do wash my hands.

I did something similar, we did a urinal, doorknob and drinking fountain. The urinal was DEFINATELY the worst xD.

I do not wash my hands after using a public computer. I think a few germs only make our bodies stronger.