PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] kubuntu 8.04.1 without internet connection

nanetti
July 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi guys, I'm a new user of the forum and would like to have some help about this topic...
After years of struggling we finally received a brand new pc for personal use in the office where I work. I never used (k)ubuntu or debian in my life, always worked on gentoo and slack but considering all my colleagues at work have never seen a linux box in their life I've decided to install kubuntu hardy for them.
Now my problem is: we have no internet connection at all and no way to get it; none of us has ubuntu at home ( so I can't use any debmirror etc...); I installed from dvd but still need hundreds of packages and dependencies ( like mplayer, gaim, klamav etc...)
All the guides I've found around do not fit my needs due to the fact they refers to another ubuntu box or something else I can't use for my situation :-(

My question is: I have large usb external disk, is there a way I can download ALL (main-universe-multiverse etc...) packages at home, copy them on the disk and use it as a repository? I definitely think it's possible but have no idea where to look for! It's my 2 day on kubuntu and still have no clear idea of how it works... Any help, suggestion, tips will be appreciated,
sorry for the long post, bye

Mauricio27
July 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hi there, I created my account just to give you a hand...I don't know for sure if this works on Kubuntu but I have tried on many linux distros and it has worked fine.
Go there and check the info.....I hope this helps you....cheers!!!!

http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Ubuntu-restricted-extras_offline_installer

nanetti
July 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Thank you for your time and your help! The script will download few packages only, not *all* the programs. I need all programs, libraries etc to be sure to do all the work in one shot avoiding dependencies problem or ( most important) not working programs.
If I well understand from ubuntupocketguide-v1-1 downloading packages for kubuntu hardy that are in main or universe repository is safe and is the safest way to avoid a system screw... is this correct? Is this like gentoo rsync mirrors (for people knowing gentoo)?!? Thank you...