PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks, what's the point?

blur xc
July 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm just wondering, what's the purpose for the existence of the netbook?

At first, I just thought they were ultra low cost pc's made for the primary purpose of browsing the internet and reading your email.

But, after doing a bit of looking around, they are no cheaper than full fledged laptops- so is ultra portability with their 10" screens the draw to them? I'd be horribly annoyed trying to view a lot of pages on a 1024 x 600 display anyway...

I checked the specs on this one- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152093 (selected by random) and compared a laptop recently on sale at Walmart for the same exact price- the Wallyworld laptop had a 15.6" display, 3gb ram, 2.x ghz (might have been dual core, but don't remember exactly), 250gig hdd, running vista...

Am I missing something?

BM

Muffinabus
July 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Portability?

AllRadioisDead
July 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Portability?

Tristam Green
July 29th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I want to know where you're shopping to find $280 laptops :|

I got my netbook because the 15.4" behemoth I used to carry around in my laptop bag was killing my back and shoulders. My AspireOne 10" in my backpack is much easier to carry, is similar in specs (with a larger HDD) than the Dell I bought two years ago, and does exactly what I need it to do.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
July 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
+1 Portability

Regenweald
July 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
i don't think you are missing anything, you just clearly don't need one :) laptops have evolved into desktop replacements for the most part. With their weight and ssd's, netbooks offer acceptable and in some cases powerful computing on the go.

magmon
July 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I take my laptop places without any problems. Id say it weighs about 13-16 pounds, so it isn't light by any means. Id like to say I prefer it's power over the netbooks, but it is a few years old and is pretty obsolite...

ghindo
July 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Portability/price.

nothingspecial
July 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Portability.

+ the fact that my big messy wirery desktop now resides under the stairs. The all singing, all dancing laptop is now the family pc. No wires, just a laptop on the table. And I control both these and my wifes netbook from where ever I like with my little light Samsung NC10. It`s kind of like a remote control for the more powerful boxes so they can get on crunching and I can browse etc to my hearts content.

gn2
July 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
~ Am I missing something? ~

Yes.
Before the advent of the netbook, a small ultra-portable, e.g. Dialogue Flybook or Toshiba Libretto cost over £1000.
Now you can get a netbook for £150.

That's the difference.

infoseeker
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a Dell Latitude ATG and my son's gf has a Acer Aspire one and I cannot use the netbook for more than a few minutes before my eyes (and neck ;) ) start hurting.

0per4t0r
July 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I'd like a little netbook to experiment with. That way I won't break my normal PC :) Also, I could carry it around a lot easier.