PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kernel 2.6.28-14 problem?

jaysonfw
July 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hi all,
After installing upgrades on 9.04 today, I get a grub error that says
Unsupported or Invalid executable
Press any key

Pressing a key takes me to a list of kernels. 2.6.28-13-generic works, but 2.6.28-14 causes the grub error. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks
(Advanced Noob)

slumbergod
July 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
During the updates my system completely locked up. After rebooting and finishing off the updates, then rebooting again, I was startled to hear the system beep had come back. I thought "yippee!" they have finally fixed all the regressions and maybe the physical volume control will be working again (it has been dead since I moved to Jaunty). But no, the update seems to have completely killed all sound on my system.

Another fantastic set of updates (sarcasm).

[edit] rebooting to kernel 2.6.30 seems to have fixed the problems. Whatever they've done to 2.6.28-14 it's now poisonous.
Kernal PPA: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Xubuntu 9.04 + ext3 + alsa

victorsmonster
July 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I'm having a similar problem with the updates. I'm using an old Dell Latitude D610. Everything was working great until last night's updates, and now I get jumbled video when I boot.

Booting from the 9.04 CD is fine, so I know it's the updates causing the problem.
Booting from an older kernel produces the same jumbled video
"Try to auto repair graphic problems" (xfix) doesn't fix the problem

At least I was able to recover my data to an external hard drive using the 9.04 Live CD.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I know there are two possible video cards in the Latitude D610. I don't know if mine is the Intel or ATI variant.

jaysonfw
July 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
My issue was related to kernel 2.6.28-14 playing nice with ext4 filesystem. It was resolved by following the instructions on this link:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub/+bug/365331

Let me know if this fixes your issue as well

Jayson

Biermacht
July 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
tnx...solved my problem!!!

I use ext4 ...now grub loads with the 2.6.28.14 and 2.6.30.3 kernels