PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I install xubuntu without a network connection at all?

yellowbooks
July 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi. This is an extreme newbie question. What I know about Ubuntu can be writtten on the proverbial postage stamp, but I have to start somewhere. I have a network connection on this laptop and have tested an install on this machine but, horrors, I find I am connected to the internet to start downloading files. My other laptop doesn't have a connection to the internet. Yet. How can I install xubuntu without one? I have a CD drive and I thought that a CD install would be all I needed. Most of the How to sites say you need an internet connection. The file I want to install is called: "xubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386". I have a very old laptop with a broken version of windows 2000 Pro installed in one partition and XP installed in another and only 256kb of Ram. (PS: From Friday I won't have this laptop and currently the other one is having the screen fixed so .... I can't practise much.".
Thanks

pmlxuser
July 29th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You can install without internet connection if you have the CD but sometimes its the updates that require internet connection.

So if you have the xubuntu disk you can install without any connection.

stlsaint
July 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
you can install without the internet...a out the box install will get you up and running!! just install from cd!!

yellowbooks
July 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
OK. In summary then, if I put the CD of the above file in the drive and let it boot from there, it won't need the internet ..

Thank you! That's great. I will be back once it's installed and I start using it!