PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing 9.04, input/output error and failed making swap partition

dv-design
July 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I have been trying for hours to install Ubuntu 9.04.

When i get to the partitioner, it sees the drive and allows me to setup partitions. I have a 160gb sata drive, id like to allot 80gb to Ubuntu as ext4, ~75gb unformatted (will become a ntfs partition), and the remainder ~5gb for the swap file.

Ive tried this many different ways, leaving the blank space blank, trying to format as fat32, making the swap file larger or smaller or no swap, etc. Even tried doing the entire 160gb as ext3...

However anyway i aproach this the format fails giving me errors about file system creation failing, failing to create swap partition, etc.

I know the drive isnt bad (at least not completely) as earlier today i had windows 7 installed on it for several hours running without a single problem.

Ultimatly i want to dual boot win 7 and ubuntu 9.04 on 2 seperate sats hd's. Ive installed win 7 first on a 80gb sata hd, and then tried installing ubunu on the 160 gb while the windows drive was still plugged in, but ive had the same results without it plugged in.

Im in need of some help here.