PDA

View Full Version : Plan to Quit Smoking

halovivek
July 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hi
I am planning to QUIT smoking. But I tried most times. But I failed.
Please give me some good ideas .
If you experienced and Quit the smoking. Please help me.
I am really struggling in my mind.

bossyandrew
July 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I hate Cigarette。。。。

congratulations~~~~~!

Smoking is hurt so much to men's body

koleoptero
July 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Just stop smoking. It's that easy. If you can sleep for a month that helps too.

t0p
July 29th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I've never quit smoking. But my bro says gum is better than patches.

lisati
July 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I'm an expert in quitting smoking, I've done it several times!

But seriously, the times I've tried, I've found the gum more helpful than patches.

nothingspecial
July 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I found it really easy with the gum, I gave up for over a year. Everytime I wanted a cigarette I chewed a gum. No problem. The thing is though you don`t actually quit nicotine, you just change how you administer it. I went to Dubai for 3 weeks and couln`t get any so started up again.

If, like me, you are purely a physical nicotine addict then the gum is really helpful. If you are more psychologically addicted then it`s not as usefull.

amitabhishek
July 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Smoke from the wrong end!!!My colleague accidentally burnt her lip and tongue she ended up quitting!!! ;)

montini
July 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You will never quit if You will "try to". You just have to _want_ it. And You must understand the main thing: cigarettes give _nothing_ good to You. And one more basic thing: You don't _lose_ anything when You quit.

I quit smoking the same day I started practicing yoga. I was smoking cigarette before yoga class and was ironically (not too serious) thinking "maybe it's my last"...

Though I never said I quit smokin' ganja ;)))

t0p
July 29th, 2009, 01:17 PM
You must understand the main thing: cigarettes give _nothing_ good to You. And one more basic thing: You don't _lose_ anything when You quit.

That's not necessarily true. Smoking made me hard and cool! ;) And my ex-gf put on weight when she stopped smoking. Most definitely a downside as far as she was concerned!

Though I never said I quit smokin' ganja ;)))

I know lots of people who have quit smoking tobacco but continued to smoke dope. The best thing to do, I believe, is to smoke grass as opposed to hash. That way you don't need to put tobacco in your joints. But bear in mind: Bob Marley died of lung cancer and he didn't smoke tobacco.

kpkeerthi
July 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Don't plan. Just go cold turkey. Yes, the withdrawal symptoms are tough to deal with (for a couple of weeks or so) but they will ease out over time. Good luck.

Kobalt
July 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I bought myslef a bike and ride 200 kilometers a week, from the day I quit smoking. It helps a lot!
Find yourself something to keep your mind off of cigarettes. It's not that hard after all, and you'll end up feeling much, much better.

dannybuntu
July 29th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Best solution is to have one half your lungs removed. My grandfather experienced this. He used to smoke two packs of Marlboros a day. When he got hospitalized and got 1 lung left. He quit.

He's still alive.

I've been trying to quit for a year now.

I tried the gum, candy, etc... Nothing works.

There's one thing I haven't tried = forced solitary confinement with no cigarettes for a month. I think that ought to work.

Grenage
July 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM
If you don't really want to quit, you won't. In a case like that, electronic smokes will at least stop killing yourself.

Other than that, go cold turkey. It's crap but it's the best way imho.

kaibob
July 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and successfully quit 20 years ago. Things I did:

* Got a publication on this topic from the American Cancer Society. It had a lot of small but helpful suggestions. I'm sure a lot more information is now available due to the internet.

* Selected a specific date to quit smoking and then told all my relatives and friends about this. I do not like to admit to any weakness, so this provided a little extra motivation.

* For me, the urge to smoke was always strongest early in the morning. So, immediately after arising, I ate breakfast and went to my gym. Exercise seemed to greatly reduce the craving for a cigarette.

I haven't had a cigarette since quiting. Good luck!

swisscow
July 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Everytime you want a ciggie, go do something else. The craving disappears in a few minutes. After a few days, the nicotine is out of your system and the habit starts to fade. Worked for me. 2 tough days then no looking back.

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
1. Smoke.
2. Stop Smoking.
3. Profit.

RiceMonster
July 29th, 2009, 06:28 PM
1. Smoke.
2. Stop Smoking.
3. Profit.

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. It's:
1. Smoke
2. Stop smoking
3. ???
4. Profit

BobLand
July 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Make a log of when you smoke. Most likely, you smoke at certain times by habit such as taking a smoke after a meal, getting off a bus or train, taking a cig break at work, first thing in the morning, cig with coffee/beer/booze, smoking at events like bars, outdoor events, "relaxing" and the like.

Prioritize each habit and eliminate the easy ones first. If you do this with conviction you will find yourself down to just a few cigs a day. At that point, congratulate yourself and throw the pack away. Cold turkey is the best way.

I stopped this way about 35 years ago. Now, I hate the smell of tobacco burning and on peoples breath.

If you have strong urges, stop what you're doing, close your eyes and take deep slow breaths. Feel the air in your lungs. It's clean. Imagine smoke filling your lungs with tar and cancer. Yes, think about lung cancer. It's real and it kills thousands of people.

Scared? You should be.

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
1. Smoke
2. Stop smoking
3. ???
4. Profit
*sigh*

Yes, RiceMonster.

(I've always wanted to be able to say that.)

magmon
July 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Ive never smoked, so I can't tell you what has worked for me, but my dad quit cold turkey when my mom told him she was pregnant with me. (Or so the story goes). He started up on cigars about 2 years ago though.

nothingspecial
July 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
1. Smoke
2. Stop smoking
3. ???
4. Profit

Not if you go on the gums and don`t buy taxed cigarettes as a rule. The chewing gums ended up costing me more.

Though I never said I quit smokin' ganja ))

I know plenty of people who think they`ve given up cigarettes until they then try to give up ganja later. They soon find out they never gave up smoking at all.

Bob Marley died of lung cancer

No he didn`t. He developed cancer in his toe and because of his rastafarian beliefs would not have it amputated. It then spread to other parts of his body including his lungs but it wasn`t the ganja that killed him. Any (former) ganja smoker should know that.;)

halovivek
July 30th, 2009, 05:27 AM
For the past three days. i have started to think about the effects of smoking and started to get fear.
So from tomorrow i will stop.
Because i do have another 3 pieces left in the box. I dont want to waste it.
he he :)

windows-killer
July 30th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hi
I am planning to QUIT smoking. But I tried most times. But I failed.
Please give me some good ideas .
If you experienced and Quit the smoking. Please help me.
I am really struggling in my mind.

try nigorete gum and see if it works.
smoking causes lung cancer and kills brain cells.
it also affect the way you taste your food.
try quiting ASAP
Good luck!

Smilax
June 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
stop drinking for a month.

i only smoke when i'm wasted.

coffeecat
June 8th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Thread necromanced by a spam post (now removed).

Closed.