PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Ubuntu 9.04 no gnome panel and no ALT+F2

rv65
July 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have a Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit install that has no gnome panels. I also have no ALT+F2. I can't even make a desktop shortcut. I've used the failsafe gnome and still no panels. Any help would be great.

gettinoriginal
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
First, try rebooting and at the sign in screen, lower left corner choose "options" > select session > gnome > change session, then sign in as usual.

asmoore82
July 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
by any chance, have you tried out the netbook-launcher on this machine?

rv65
July 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
First, try rebooting and at the sign in screen, lower left corner choose "options" > select session > gnome > change session, then sign in as usual.

Still not working. I could try netbook-launcher but I can't access synaptic. I'll try that.

Brandon Williams
July 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I think that what asmoore82 was really asking is whether you've tried out netbook-remix. The UNR desktop-switcher in Jaunty was (and perhaps still is) buggy, and would cause this type of problem. If you _had_ tried it out, that would make it easier to suggest a fix. It sounds like you haven't used it, so that won't be the problem.

Alt+F2 is a function of the panel, so if the panel's not there, Alt+F2 won't work either. I suggest that you create a launcher on your desktop so that you can start gnome-terminal. Just right-click on the desktop and select the appropriate item from the popup menu.

Once you've got a terminal running, execute gnome-panel from the command line. This should give you a panel to work with. Does that work? If so, then I think we just need to figure out why it isn't autostarting.

UbuntuNerd
July 31st, 2009, 08:30 PM
can you tell me what happens if you press Ctrl+Alt+f2 hit ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to your desktop :)

rv65
August 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM
When I try to run gnome-panel from the CLI it says no libasound.so.2 file. I think I tried to run some version of ALSA and it borked it. I have a noALSA and noOSS blacklisted. I tried to set linux-sound-base to OSS. I think thats the reason why it wont run gnome. All because of a stupid little file.

rv65
August 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
any response?

rv65
August 16th, 2009, 06:37 AM
In my lib folder I find a noALSA and a noOSS script. Can I remove them from the blacklist and remove those files. I think those files and possibly reinstalling ALSA could fix my problem I hope.