PDA

View Full Version : I need wikipedia advice

towsonu2003
January 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'll go directly to the problem: whenever I change any politically charged article, some one with apparently opposite views changes it back. This is both in Turkish and English wikipedia, and I suppose it would be the same for other languages as well.

For example, I just watched Crash (movie) and wanted to see its wikipedia entry. The article did not say anything about racism, which was very surprising (the movie is only about racism and how it works within the US society) and nothing about how it approached the issue (use of stereotypes etc). So I changed it accordingly. The rollback was immediate with a NPOV / POV charge. Added information to the discussion page, and rolled back to what I wrote again. One more rollback. And it is always apparent that it is coming from someone who is acting on his/her own interests.

I experience this with any article I try to fix, in any open source information source. Yes my additions reflect my views (whose doesn't???), but still, they are based on facts, not my views (POV).

How do you deal with this? I mean, I gave up dealing with the errors in wikipedia (prematurely I suppose) bc it's just not worth the time. What do you do?

polt
January 28th, 2006, 07:46 AM
that is why wikipedia sucks. i tried changing some incorrect science stuff, and they changed that back too. it makes you kind of doubt the validity of the site huh.

BWF89
January 28th, 2006, 02:43 PM
If a registered user "rolled back" your article who not just send him a private message with your IRC or IM name?

tageiru
January 28th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Remember that wikipedia is not some site for reviewing movies, it is a global repository for knowledge and information and as such has high standards for its contents.

The movie is successful in showing the extremely thin line between being a racist and not being a racist, while not ignoring the segregated destructive machinery that operates in the United States and the racist system that chokes down anything that is not "white".
This sounds more like a review than an article describing the movie as such.

I experience this with any article I try to fix, in any open source information source. Yes my additions reflect my views (whose doesn't???), but still, they are based on facts, not my views (POV).
The advice I would give you is to listen to the people that criticize your changes.

fuscia
January 28th, 2006, 03:22 PM
how does wikipedia prevent the introduction of malicious content?

polt
January 29th, 2006, 01:03 AM
they pretty much prevent the introduction of any content.

imagine
January 29th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I'll go directly to the problem: whenever I change any politically charged article, some one with apparently opposite views changes it back. This is both in Turkish and English wikipedia, and I suppose it would be the same for other languages as well.
In the end Wikipedia works like every company, society, etc: Climb up the hierachy and force your view onto others. There's no such thing as a neutral point of view for most subjects.

they pretty much prevent the introduction of any content.
Hehe.
But I second that. IMHO some people there try to turn Wikipedia into something what it isn't and can't be.

poofyhairguy
January 29th, 2006, 02:19 AM
How do you deal with this? I mean, I gave up dealing with the errors in wikipedia (prematurely I suppose) bc it's just not worth the time. What do you do?

What do I do? View wikipedia as a source to grab quick info so I can stay in coversations that I shouldn't based apon experiance.

For your problem, I would talk to a higher up.