PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Web Browser with images?

Jimleko211
July 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Are there any web browsers on the command line that supports the viewing of images?

Also, what are the names of the IM clients and the media players (like Banshee or Rythym box)

kerry_s
July 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Are there any web browsers on the command line that supports the viewing of images?

Also, what are the names of the IM clients and the media players (like Banshee or Rythym box)

links2 ? sudo apt-get install links2

do you mean im for the cli ? i use centerim on mine.
as for player in the cli i'll just usually use aplay from alsa.

Jimleko211
July 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I've tried Links2, it doesn't support images, I'm afraid :(

y-lee
July 29th, 2009, 02:52 AM
See A day without X (http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/05/21/a-day-without-x/)

PurposeOfReason
July 29th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I've tried Links2, it doesn't support images, I'm afraid :(
Does too. Run it as links2 -g.

mrgnash
July 29th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I like cmus for a terminal application that supports a music library a-la Banshee. Love Banshee itself, but it's a bit heavy for my current system.

Sublime Porte
July 29th, 2009, 03:16 AM

The site mentioned above (A day without X) has a link to a browser, but when you say terminal, do you mean a terminal emulator inside X? Because they won't display in a terminal emulator, only in a tty console, which has a framebuffer enabled.

Jimleko211
July 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
The site mentioned above (A day without X) has a link to a browser, but when you say terminal, do you mean a terminal emulator inside X? Because they won't display in a terminal emulator, only in a tty console, which has a framebuffer enabled.
Yeah, that's what I mean. But links2 -g worked.

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Links2 works fine here, but I still prefer Firefox.

chris4585
July 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
For IMing bitlbee is the best IMO, use it with irssi. For music I use moc, its awesome IMO. Also a little info on links2, using the option -g it will work in a console if your video card supports framebuffering, its a way of displaying a GUI without xorg installed. You can also watch videos with mplayer using framebuffer.

If you're interested in doing stuff without x, you should try INX, INX is Not X.

http://inx.maincontent.net

Its a livecd and a full distro that is built off of Ubuntu and has all sorts of cli goodies.

mrgnash
July 31st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the problem where links2 doesn't seem to save any of your login details between sessions, or sometimes even within the same session (due to not storing cookies or something I suppose)?

dragos240
July 31st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Yeah, that's what I mean. But links2 -g worked.

Also. xlinks2

sertse
July 31st, 2009, 02:28 AM
links2 -g is xlinks2. I latter I think its a symlink? to the former.

yea, links2 doesn't have cookie support. It's not elinks :P. Now, if someone would remerge the projects...

+1 INX suggestion.

kk0sse54
July 31st, 2009, 02:31 AM
elinks - my favorite cli web browser
finch - CLI version of pidgin

Dullstar
July 31st, 2009, 04:36 AM
I honestly question why do that in the terminal.

hanzomon4
July 31st, 2009, 04:48 AM

Because its fun! and if you run a cool wm Like Awesome wm with xcompmgr it just looks so cool.

mrgnash
July 31st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Because its fun! and if you run a cool wm Like Awesome wm with xcompmgr it just looks so cool.

Yes, plus links2 is insanely fast. That's why I wish it supported cookies and javascript.

thejart
August 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
links2 is supposed to support (some) javascript, but i can't get it to work. i've installed from the repositories and built it myself to no avail.

has anyone had success getting javascript running on links2?

Viva
August 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM
links2 is awesome. It seems to have some problems with emerald though.

unknownPoster
August 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Some of us pride ourselves on having absolutely minimal systems.