View Full Version : [ubuntu] XPS M1330 9 cell battery SSD-- short battery life?

July 29th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I recently bought a Dell XPS M1330 with LCD screen, 9 cell battery, and a 128 GB SSD drive. My machine has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 processor and NVidia 8400 M GS video card.

Overall, I am very pleased with my computer, but I can only get 2.5 hrs out of my battery in Linux as opposed to over 3.5 in Vista. Any ideas on what I can do to get more out my battery? I thought that with the SSD drive I would get far more battery time.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

July 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM
To save battery life use the CPU frequency monitor applet and put it on your panel and lower your CPU frequency when you are on battery power. Also put the Brightness applet on your panel and lower the brightness of your screen when you are on battery power. When you are on battery power try to turn off your Wireless when your are not using it. That should increase your battery life.

July 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I already have manually slowed the CPU frequency, and I keep the monitor brightness low (notch 2 of 8 ). I'll try turning off the WiFi switch too.

I chose to get the SSD rather than a normal disk drive thinking that it would save on battery usage; couple that with a 9 cell battery and I figured I would have a machine that would last a good 4 hours. Was this an unrealistic expectation?

July 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
That is a realistic expectation I have a 3 cell laptop battery and that lasts me around 1 hour and 30 minutes. I also use a hard drive so I think if I could upgraded to a SSD I would get around 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours of battery life.

October 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Revolutionary101 is correct.
If you want to know more about battery life , you can see this article "How to increase laptop battery life (http://www.batteries-wiki.org/?p=230) ?".