PDA

View Full Version : I need a program to open a .vcf file!!

kevdog
July 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I've been sent a file with an extension .vcf. I need a viewer. Please help. (or a converter).

dragos240
July 29th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Just log on to filext.com (http://filext.com/file-extension/vcf)

pastalavista
July 29th, 2009, 02:04 AM
http://tuxmobil.org/vcard.html

lukeiamyourfather
July 29th, 2009, 02:14 AM
The vCard files are just a few ASCII lines, open it in a text editor and see the phone, name, whatever from the card. The format is pretty much defunct so there might not be an actual reader available. Cheers!

kevdog
July 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks -- I had no idea its actually in ASCII format and is human readable -- dumb!! What a pointless format!

Sublime Porte
July 29th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Actually it's a pretty handy format for the compatibility of exchanging contacts between different devices/systems.

Whenever you have a filetype you don't know, it's always worth either typing "head <filename>" into a terminal or to try opening it with a text editor. Since a lot of the time it'll be human readable text.

yabbadabbadont
July 29th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Whenever you have a filetype you don't know, it's always worth either typing "head <filename>" into a terminal or to try opening it with a text editor. Since a lot of the time it'll be human readable text.

Actually, using "file <filename>" often gives better information. ;)

kevdog
July 29th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hmm in this case the file command just gave this:
vCard visiting card

yabbadabbadont
July 29th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Hmm in this case the file command just gave this:
vCard visiting card

Then it is a recognized file type, which means that there should be native software that supports it. (Not that it tells you which software you need... :D)

I think that you can import such things into Thunderbird's and Evolution's contacts list.

Edit: Yep - http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozillaThunderbird/vCardsInThunderbird.cwd

Edit2: This is a more useful link - http://tuxmobil.org/vcard.html

kevdog
July 29th, 2009, 06:00 AM
In some cases I wish I used Evolution or Thunderbird, but in most cases just rely on Gmail to get my email, so Thunderbird having the ability to import vcf files and convert them doesn't serve me any good. I wonder why gmail hasn't developed this feature??

lukeiamyourfather
July 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I wonder why gmail hasn't developed this feature??

Probably because its a defunct and redundant file format that hardly anybody uses. Using a signature in the email is a much better option since it shows up in the actual email, is automatic, and doesn't require any crap on the recipient system to read it.

The vCard or Versitcard was originally proposed in 1995 by the Versit consortium, which consisted of Apple, AT&T Technologies (later Lucent), IBM and Siemens. In December 1996, ownership of the format was handed over to the Internet Mail Consortium, a trade association for companies with an interest in Internet e-mail.

I bet 14 years ago it was a pretty nifty idea for those new to computers, but not anymore. Cheers!

Mr_and_Mrs_D
October 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Nope - gmail supports it - it should - many mobiles export in this format

koleoptero
October 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I bet 2 years later the OP should have figured it out...

forrestcupp
October 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Countdown to thread lock for necroposting.

sloppyjava
March 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I bet 2 years later the OP should have figured it out... Can someone explain to me why there seems to be such contempt for posting to an old thread? I have, Literally HUNDREDS of times, found a solution to a problem posted in an old thread These remarks condemning the practice are neither productive nor logical since Google keeps on indexing and returning results if relevant, no matter how old.. Btw, VCF is still widely used in the mobile world and as far as human readable being useless, how's about them there php.ini's or my.cnf's.. yeah, those are useless too..

Thewhistlingwind
March 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Can someone explain to me why there seems to be such contempt for posting to an old thread? I have, Literally HUNDREDS of times, found a solution to a problem posted in an old thread These smart @$$ remarks condemning the practice are neither productive nor logical since Google keeps on indexing and returning results if relevant, no matter how old.. Btw, VCF is still widely used in the mobile world and as far as human readable being useless, how's about them there php.ini's or my.cnf's.. yeah, those are useless too..

Because if you post in an old thread most of the people in the discussion are likely no longer present.

Regardless, the "Human readable == Useless" comment was so out of line with *nix philosophy that it really doesn't even need to be mentioned beyond a few words of dismissal.

EDIT: But while were on the subject of old threads helping, it'd be really nice if there was a simple way to archive web forum posts like there was for Usenet and it's ilk. (Though Usenet was easy to archive because it was designed as a sort of middle way between bulletin boards and email.)

howefield
March 4th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Can someone explain to me why there seems to be such contempt for posting to an old thread? I have, Literally HUNDREDS of times, found a solution to a problem posted in an old thread These remarks condemning the practice are neither productive nor logical since Google keeps on indexing and returning results if relevant, no matter how old.. Btw, VCF is still widely used in the mobile world and as far as human readable being useless, how's about them there php.ini's or my.cnf's.. yeah, those are useless too..

From the Code of Conduct, which is probably on your to do list of important things to do...

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.