PDA

View Full Version : Google Voice iPhone app rejected.... how is this not a monopoly?

Mateo
July 29th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I don't know if you have heard (i searched and didn't find any topics), but the official Google Voice app (created by Google) was rejected by the iPhone app store for duplicating features of the core phone os.

For those who don't know about Google Voice, it is a service that gives you a new number, which you can forward to any and all of your other phones. It's much more than that, though. You also can send SMS with this phone for free. And place international calls at rates in most cases half of a typical phone carrier rates. And there are many other cool features, like voice mail that is translated into text.

The app, that is currently available for Blackberry and Android, allows you to place calls using your Google Voice number. And it lets you see your voice mails, SMS messages, etc. So this app was rejected by Apple... The reason most think is because AT&T doesn't want you to place cheaper calls with google, or get free SMS.

My question is, how is this not a monopolistic practice? Here are 2 scenarios:

1) Microsoft integrates their web browser into their operating system, given them a big advantage over the competition.

2) Apple outright blocks competition from installing on their OS.

How is it possible that #1 is a monopoly and #2 is not? Microsoft did not make it impossible to install Firefox.... this is what Apple is doing.

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Some of Apple's app acceptance guidelines are surely affected by their business relationship with AT&T, no doubt. Do you honestly think AT&T wants competition?

Mateo
July 29th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Some of Apple's app acceptance guidelines are surely affected by their business relationship with AT&T, no doubt. Do you honestly think AT&T wants competition?

AT&T is surely partially to blame.... but AT&T carries Blackberries and Blackberry has the app.

TBOL3
July 29th, 2009, 03:04 AM
AT&T is surely partially to blame.... but AT&T carries Blackberries and Blackberry has the app.

Yes, but at&t doesn't have an exclusive deal with blackberry. Than again, apple's deal with at&t is about to end...

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Yes, but at&t doesn't have an exclusive deal with blackberry. Than again, apple's deal with at&t is about to end...

No, that deadline came and went, and they've negotiated a new deal. Not sure how long the new one is for, though, nor all of the terms.

And, did you folks know Apple makes a WCDMA version of the iPhone for Telstra in Australia (and possibly a few other locations)? Oh, if only they sold that here in the U.S., I might have one now instead of a Palm Pre. C 'est la vie.

mrgnash
July 29th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Just another reason to get a phone with Android instead.