PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] A server will control the new house I'm building, is ubuntu right for me?

shamusl
July 29th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I'm building a new home soon, and want a server to control every aspect of it. When I get home I want to put in a password to unlock the door, or unlock the garage, and I want that same server to automatically grab bittorrent TV shows and make them available centrally to all TV's in the home without separate hardware. I want that server to control the climate from the same remote I control the TV from, and I want my house to know which room I'm in and to move the program I'm currently watching to the TV in the next room when I walk to it, and to turn off when I leave that room (I want the lights to react the same). I want to be able monitor my house remotely from a laptop in another country (watch it's security cameras), and I want the server to record all this data, and to store it remotely as well.

My question is: is linux right for me?, and if so what software exists to take care of these things, if any? and what will I need programmed? (anyone looking for a programming job?)

What kind of hardware should I go with?

Money is no object.

maxxtwayne
July 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
When I get home I want to put in a password to unlock the door, or unlock the garage

Are you serious ? What about a power failure ? A software, hardware or anything else failure ? You couldn't enter your home ?

It's very risky.

And instead looking for the product and a way to deploy it, you should look for someone who knows he could make it, whatever the product is.

Soxred93
July 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Yeah, while Ubuntu might be stable, it's not nearly stable enough to rely on for your own house. It would be way too risky to put all your belongings on the line.

jerrrys
July 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
find the right software and that will probably dictate what OS you need

http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+controlled+house+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?q=computer+controlled+house&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a