PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble getting rEFIt to work on new MBP

swarup
July 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I just bought a 17" MBP laptop (never had an apple before), and want to set up a triple boot (OSX/Ubuntu/Vista), as given in this HowTo (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation), and have installed and shrunk Leopard, leaving a large chunk of blank space on the HDD for the other two OS's. I then downloaded and installed rEFIt to the OSX partition according to the instructions-- but when I reboot my laptop, I do not get the rEFIt boot menu, which as I understand, means that rEFIt is not installed properly. And I tried putting the Ubuntu 9.04 cd in the DVD drive and rebooting to see if there have to be at least two available boot options for the rEFIt boot menu to appear, but it still does not appear. What do I do to get rEFIt installed properly?

pxwpxw
July 29th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Have you restarted MacOSX and then shutdown and restart to see if rEFIt turns ups.
Do you see rEFIt or choice of icons if you start holding the Option key?

swarup
July 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Have you restarted MacOSX and then shutdown and restart to see if rEFIt turns ups.
Do you see rEFIt or choice of icons if you start holding the Option key?

Hey, thanks for the tip! I had tried restarting multiple times last night, and it hadn't show the rEFIt boot screen. But this morning I again tried booting, and now it is showing every time! Don't know what changed.

So I've moved on to the next phase of the multiboot install (OSX/Jaunty/Vista), and have gotten stuck up at another point. Please kindly see my post here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7697172#post7697172). You seem very experienced, and I'm sure you may know the answer. Thanks!

I'd really like to set up the triple boot, but isn't a swap partition needed for Ubuntu? If I can't create an extended partition in the Jaunty advanced installer, then in order to save a partition space for Vista, I'd have to leave out the swap partition.