PDA

View Full Version : The "I can't figure out how I lived before discovering this" thread

Keyper7
July 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Probably a duplicate, but just from the title I didn't find anything...

I'm curious about the applications or concepts that were really game-changers on the way you use the computer and nowadays you are scared to death of the possibility of losing them. Here's mine:

- multiple desktops

- compiz' scale plugin

- connect actions to screen corners

- glipper

speedwell68
July 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM
GNU/Linux itself, that and virus free computing.

MikeTheC
July 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Breathing.

MaxIBoy
July 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I like how modular and non-obfuscated everything is. Instead of having a whole mess of executables and DLLs with names like DLSDO876DSF plus a whole mess of registry entries, you get neatly-named executables and SO files, and neatly-named configuration files in /etc. It's designed to be easily modified. I can't believe I survived without this for so long.

Bungo Pony
July 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Compiz. The transparency combined with point to focus really makes a difference when you need to read something while you're typing up a document based on what you're reading. The desktop zoom feature is the best thing in the world.

DeadSuperHero
July 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
The day I got a Playstation.

magmon
July 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM
The internet. My mind has benefitted, and computers are the future of business. Knowing about them and what connects them can only benefit me.

lisati
July 28th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm surprised how well the Lisati household coped with dial-up and only one phone line, but I wouldn't go back to dial-up unless I had to.

hyperAura
July 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
i think the answer in that question for me is google.. also can some1 tell me what is glipper please?? cause it might be useful for me 2.. thnx..:)

lisati
July 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
<snip>

Presumably the <snip link>.... remember this forum aims to be family friendly.....

hyperAura
July 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
@szymon_g (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=227825) if u r a boy it doesnt take u that long to discover..:)

i am talkin about the drink ofc as more bartenders tend to be men.. ahaha

Barrucadu
July 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Books.

JT9161
July 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Linux
Internet
Firefox
Conky

szymon_g
July 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
remember this forum aims to be family friendly.....

well...

"(..)Importance of female orgasm. While it is well-known that male orgasm is linked to getting pregnant, female orgasm is also relevant to a couple’s chances of successfully getting pregnant. When a woman experiences an orgasm during sex, it helps to draw the semen into the cervix, thereby resulting in a higher chance of pregnancy.(...)"

http://www.gettingpregnant.co.uk/fertilitytips.html

so yes, I am, proudly speaking, pro-family ;)

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
breathing.

+1

benj1
July 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
probably quite a few things

windows 3.1 - you could actualy click on things to make them work

cdrom drive - no more having to mess around with 15 floppy discs to install something, and you could actually play music on your computer.

a computer actually powerful enough to play quake - remember when id used to release software that wouldn't actually work very well on the current available hardware?

playing videos on a computer - remember the weezer video on the windows 95 cd?

i could of course live without all of these now but at the time they were pretty cool

philcamlin
July 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
+1

+2 :) and my computer :popcorn:

unknownPoster
July 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Gentoo ;)

windows-killer
July 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
ubuntu

PhoHammer
July 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Recently: "wrap workspaces when the pointer reaches the screen edge"-- makes multiple
workspaces worthwhile and xubuntu even more wonderful!

OT:

Gentoo ;)

So do you guys really compile everything? Does that take a lot of time and CPU power?

unknownPoster
July 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
So do you guys really compile everything? Does that take a lot of time and CPU power?

That is completely dependent upon your hardware...even so, you could have a fully operational system in a weekend (or less if you know what you're doing.) For example, on my laptop, a fully working Gentoo install up to my standards (Xorg, firefox, custom kernel, etc.) only takes me about 5-7 hours, most of which is just waiting.

PhoHammer
July 28th, 2009, 11:50 PM
That is completely dependent upon your hardware...even so, you could have a fully operational system in a weekend (or less if you know what you're doing.) For example, on my laptop, a fully working Gentoo install up to my standards (Xorg, firefox, custom kernel, etc.) only takes me about 5-7 hours, most of which is just waiting.

5-7 hours?
... I guess I'm too spoiled on *ubuntu's installation process...:(

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
5-7 hours?
... I guess I'm too spoiled on *ubuntu's installation process...:(

Hell, that makes me spoiled on Window 7's installation process, where I just click yes a couple times and then zone out for half an hour.

ghindo
July 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Gnome-Do
Gnome-Do
GNOME-DO

unknownPoster
July 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Well, the joy of Linux is using what works for you...

doorknob60
July 29th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Firefox. I first found out about it 3-4 years ago because my school had it. For some reason I didn't like it and I went out of my way to use IE6...then halfway through the school year I gave it a fair chance, and then after that it immediately went on to all my home computers, and the rest is history.

dragos240
July 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Compiling from source,
majority of software for linux is open source,
Gnu Network Object Model Environment,
Compiz,
WINE,
the internet,
and the ubuntuforums.

K.Mandla
July 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Clonezilla, screen, rsync, nfs, ssh. Maybe a few others, but those are the top picks.

koleoptero
July 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Coffee.

Metal music!

Sex.

running_rabbit07
July 29th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Ubuntu and Linux in general, because I am glad I don't have to start up then wait ten minutes for the system scan and updates to complete and tell me I have to restart.

A little more than 30 seconds and I am computing or at least the system is ready to compute.

liamnixon
July 29th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Slackware - The simplicity and stability can't be beat. Plus, I've never broken it that badly, as things are generally easy to fix.

Multiple desktops - Dear god, I miss this when I use Windows. Helps keep the clutter down.

KDE - Took me a while to warm up to it, but I've found KDE (3 and 4) to be vastly superior (for what I do) to every other DE/WM out there. Nothing else allows me to just get on with my work without fuss like it. Especially the 4 series (I'm using 3.5 at the moment, though).

Edgeworth
July 29th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Multiple Desktops
Gnome-Do, especially with Docky
Laptops, I love being able to take my computer and work wherever I want.

PhoHammer
July 29th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Well, the joy of Linux is using what works for you...

You've definitely got that right!!:P

bjschuma
July 29th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Arch and Python for me.