PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Artifacts and freezes - NVIDIA and Ubuntu

Sigurd Suhm
July 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hey everyone

I've had some problems with my NVIDIA card and the drivers for it the past few days. It started off with my X Server suddenly not being able to load the module anymore. I've had this problem before and solved it with a full system reinstall. It shows up as a message when I start the computer. Something like "Unable to load NVIDIA kernel module".

This time I tried a different approach. I tried a lot of different versions of drivers. Both 180's and 185's. I tried both drivers from repositories and compiling them directly from the NVIDIA official site. Sometimes it would boot fine but from time to time I got artifacts. And my system froze up completely sometimes as well.

Eventually I completely reinstalled Ubuntu (9.04) again. Everything was working fine until I suddenly got artifacts again. Not anything too serious but enough to make me concerned. Mainly it shows up in the title bar of windows. Pixels with wrong colors and such. Has anyone else seen something like this and does anyone know how it may be solved? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Sigurd

System Description:
Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Desktop Edition
Linux 2.6.28.13-generic kernel (was using 2.6.30.1 before)
Running on HP Pavilion Laptop
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M Graphics Card
Currently using standard 180.44 driver from repositories