PDA

View Full Version : A bash question

flylehe
July 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi,
I am trying to redirect my output to a file and need to first put a command into a string. Here is the error:

bash-3.2$ cc="(date && time ls -l -a && date) > ./tmp/log"
bash-3.2$ $cc
bash: (date: command not found

What's wrong?
Thanks and regards!

flylehe
July 28th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Hi,
I am trying to redirect my output to a file and need to first put a command into a string. Here is the error:

bash-3.2$ $cc

What's wrong?
Thanks and regards!

stroyan
July 28th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Using just $cc will not parse the contents of the cc variable as if it was a shell command.
The shell is trying to use the "(date" part as an executable name.
You can get the effect that you are describing using

eval $cc
to ask the shell to parse the contents of cc.

grizzler
July 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
When bash executes the commands in the variable cc, it uses everything 'as is', i.e. it starts with executing (date instead of just date. I don't know if there's a way around this, but I have used an alias for a similar purpose. Try this:

alias cc='(date && time ls -la && date) &>./tmp/log'

Execute with cc (no $).

Don't forget the ampersand immediately before the greater-than sign, or part of the time output will appear on screen instead of in your file.

kk0sse54
July 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
You might want to pick something different than cc, as cc is the command for your C compiler. I don't know really how you use your system and if it will effect you but just so that you're aware ;). You can also check out 'man cc'

spillin_dylan
July 29th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Hi,

bash-3.2$ $cc

What's wrong?
Thanks and regards!

How about something more along the lines of:

bash-3.2$ cc=`date && time ls -l -a && date`
bash-3.2$ echo $cc &> ./tmp/log

Notice the `backquotes` which execute statements inside them, then assign it to cc.

Rocket2DMn
July 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Threads merged. Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic - it isn't fair to those volunteering their time here, and doesn't result in getting more or better help.
Thank you.