PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Skipping distro upgrades?

ShadeS_07
July 28th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Would it be okay if stick to Kubuntu 8.10 and not upgrade for another recent distro, say, the Jaunty Jackalope?

Then if another distro comes up, and I prefer to upgrade with that, is that OK? I mean for example, let's try to simplify it... I am now using an 8.10 Kubuntu, I didn't upgrade to 9.04... Then later, when 9.10 got released, I decided to upgrade my 8.10 to 9.10 version of Kubuntu... Is that a good idea?

Btw, does upgrading distro also upgrades my kernel version? The last time I upgrade my Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 my GRUB loader still says at the option "Ubuntu 8.10 2.6.27-11-generic"... And I was having problems with the upgrade so I decided to restore back my remastersys backed up 8.10....

Thanks in advance... God bless always.... ~ShadeS_07 :popcorn:

Partyboi2
July 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
You don't have to upgrade to Jaunty, but if you are wanting to upgrade to 9.10 when it comes out, you can not skip releases so you would need to upgrade to 9.04 before upgrading to 9.10. Or you can backup your important data and do a clean install without having to worry about upgrading to 9.04 first.
When you upgrade you should get a later kernel version.

ShadeS_07
July 28th, 2009, 03:34 PM
When you upgrade you should get a later kernel version.

How and when should I do that? Before upgrading? After upgrading?

Partyboi2
July 29th, 2009, 07:09 AM
How and when should I do that? Before upgrading? After upgrading?
When you upgrade the kernel it will be automatically upgrade through the installation process.