PDA

View Full Version : Wish-List for Ubuntu 10.04

Boss 999
July 28th, 2009, 11:21 AM
:KSWell to start, I'm a newbie here. I have been using Ubuntu for the past 4-5 months I guess. I really liked Ubuntu and it's concepts, the real desktop experience. I have also used Ubuntu 8.10 and is now using Ubuntu 9.04. Well I feel that there are some stability problems in Ubuntu 9.04 compared to 8.10. the desktop hangs and crashes etc etc.. Well I want Ubuntu to be the best free Operating System ever. :D

So I planned to put a wish-list (what you wish to be added) for Ubuntu 10.04. You can post what changes and advancements do you wish to see in the next big release of Ubuntu. So I start here..:::P

1- More faster boot (approximately 10 seconds).

2- It would be better if Ubuntu had an inbuilt program to Backup/Restore the entire HDD like a snapshot and save it to another partition.

3- Change the default "Brown Colour" please... It getting bored. The default theme is now boring although you can change themes later.

4- Newer version of Gnome please like Gnome 3.0.

5- DETECT ALL HARDWARE - Support for latest Nvidia Graphics Cards. Although it automatically donloads driver similar to the correct drivers, we need original drivers to get maximum graphics. Detect sound cards. My Creative 5.1 sound card was never detected.

6- Support for 2.1,4.1,5.1,7.1 sound effects for maximum home entertainment. My Ubuntu should be like a real home theater. Ubuntu Media Center should be added maximizing entertainment including new visual and sound experience (Player skins should be added). It should support all music and video formats that are now currently in the world. Ability to increase bass and switch to Pop/Classical/Jazz sound effects. :):guitar:

7- Bring the live experience of Plasma Desktop like that of Sabayon Linux 4.0 and higher. :o
8- More better Cpu & ram usage.

9- A system Optimizer, an open source application, registry cleaner like that of "Tune-up Utilities".

10- Support for mobile to PC synchronization softwares like Nokia/Sony Ericsson PC Suites.

11 - There should be in-build program to change the boot screen by the user rather than checking in the net how to do such a complicated operation. Boot screen should be available for download. "BOOT SCREEN SHOULD BE ANIMATED - it would be really lovely and awesome". There should be many Boot screens in this OS by default

12- Login screen should too be animated and awesome of course with best colours (dark shades). There should be many login screens in this OS by default.

13- Emerald Theme Manger should be in the OS by default..

14- There should be better chat messengers designed for Ubuntu like Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger. "amsn" is designed for Ubuntu but the interface should be more catchy and made better than that in Windows.

15- The Grub should be modified with a better look and well as speed. There should be a software like "Gnome Grub Editor" or G-Grub Editor for Ubuntu like "K-Grub Editor" in Kubuntu. "K-Grub Editor" is indeed a nice software.

16- The login and shutdown sound should be more attractive.:-({|=

17- Support for animated full screen wallpapers.

I think I bored you guys with this long list. If all these things are included, I think, it requires a DVD for Ubuntu. For that too, I have thought of an option. There should be a CD version as well as a DVD version for every release of Ubuntu. The DVD version should include all the codecs required by any media player in the OS to work. This is helpful to people who get DVD version from their friends to install in their PC if they do not have internet connection. Otherwise getting codecs would be difficult.
You may too have different ideas and concept for a newer and better Ubuntu. So post your concepts here.
(Sorry if I made you feel bored)

rannable
July 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
thats a good list, i think i only have a few wishes and you covered them! good work!

3rdalbum
July 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
1- More faster boot (approximately 10 seconds).

It's on the drawing board.

4- Newer version of Gnome please like Gnome 3.0.

Ubuntu always ships with the latest Gnome. Let's hope Gnome 3 is good.

5- DETECT ALL HARDWARE - Support for latest Nvidia Graphics Cards. Although it automatically donloads driver similar to the correct drivers, we need original drivers to get maximum graphics. Detect sound cards. My Creative 5.1 sound card was never detected.

I think you've misunderstood something. The Hardware Drivers program downloads the official Nvidia driver. If your sound card is not usable, it's because there is no driver for it. Support should come in time.

7- Bring the live experience of Plasma Desktop like that of Sabayon Linux 4.0 and higher. :o

Sabayon uses KDE, Ubuntu uses Gnome. You can't run Plasma on Gnome. If you want to use Plasma on an Ubuntu base, try Kubuntu.

8- More better Cpu & ram usage.

There are limits to how much RAM you can use for cache. If Ubuntu is only using 1.5 gigabytes of cache, it's because that's how much cache it can use without putting random bits of data into RAM.

9- A system Optimizer, an open source application, registry cleaner like that of "Tune-up Utilities".

Windows and ReactOS are the only two operating systems with a "registry". Gnome has something similar, but it doesn't get clogged up and it doesn't cause slowdown. There is currently work being done on a kind of system optimizer.

10- Support for mobile to PC synchronization softwares like Nokia/Sony Ericsson PC Suites.

I thought there was already software to handle that.

11 - There should be in-build program to change the boot screen by the user rather than checking in the net how to do such a complicated operation. Boot screen should be available for download. "BOOT SCREEN SHOULD BE ANIMATED - it would be really lovely and awesome". There should be many Boot screens in this OS by default

If it only takes 10 seconds to boot up, why do we need an animated boot screen?

14- There should be better chat messengers designed for Ubuntu like Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger. "amsn" is designed for Ubuntu but the interface should be more catchy and made better than that in Windows.

That's a bit beyond the scope of Ubuntu itself, but there is work being done in this area, on Empathy.

There should be a software like "Gnome Grub Editor" or G-Grub Editor for Ubuntu like "K-Grub Editor" in Kubuntu. "K-Grub Editor" is indeed a nice software.

There shouldn't be the need to edit your bootloader.

ktechkio
July 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
:7- Bring the live experience of Plasma Desktop like that of Sabayon Linux 4.0 and higher.

Plasma desktop. That's for KDE. Already include in kubuntu see kubuntu.org

Boss 999
July 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I'm sorry.. I did not know that Plasma is for KDE desktop only.:confused:

But I still stand for the idea of an animated boot screen even though if it is 10 seconds only.. Animated login screen will be also be good.=D>

I feel that Grub Editor like K-Grub Editor should be in Ubuntu by default. The boot loader becomes boring when using the same theme every time. So it's pleasing to eyes to see and different background and style. Many people still try to edit the Grub. K-Grub Editor is the one which I like than Startup Manager..\\:D/

vinutux
July 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
1. Banshee as default audio player instead of rhythmbox

2. Deluge instead of transmission

3. Auto-detect most hardwares with the help of partner companies (like ubuntu capable logo)

4. Request adobe and autodesk to supprot this platform more

5. Marketing ubuntu like Firefox

Tclarkie
August 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
1: ubuntu should automatically ask to install restricted extras (dvd reading etc), to massively increase the noob market
2: UPDATE MANAGER SHOULD APPEAR IN NOTIFICATION AREA, NOT JUST OPENING FOR ITSELF

longtom
August 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Bring back wvdial (or even a simple user interface with it) to cater for dial-up modems.

This can't take so much space and would be a big step towards the developping world...if Ubuntu cares...Ubuntu is a nice name so....

GeorgeVita
August 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
WVDIAL: Connecting People!
it is "well known", documented in a lot of posts, used for so many years and works always (terminal). Other methods are not so easy to use.

...Additionally in many cases wvdial is very helpful to be included into standard distro. There are many Ubuntu users that they do not have ADSL modems. Some using mobile broadband others special 'rural' phone/modems. Most problems are solved using usbserial in conjunction with wvdial (searching within ubuntuforums.org you can find a lot similar cases).
Regards,
George

squiddy
December 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
what about adding ubuntu-tweak and acetoneiso to the repo ?

phillychease
December 27th, 2009, 09:01 PM
undo command would be nice. oh and system restore too!

dcstar
December 27th, 2009, 11:36 PM
You may too have different ideas and concept for a newer and better Ubuntu. So post your concepts here.
(Sorry if I made you feel bored)

It is better to post things like this in their appropriate place:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

DLHDragon
March 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
default applications for Ubuntu

( CD version of Ubuntu )

-----------------------------

i think ubuntu should have...

2 CD install (default apps CD and extra apps CD )

OR

1 CD and 1/2 DVD (default app CD and default/extra apps DVD )

#################################################

default applications that should be kept

* Firefox - web brower

* VLC - Media player (should be made a Default app)

* OpenOffice - Docs

* Gimp - Photo / picture / Image Manipulation

* Eye of GNOME - image viewer

* Rhythmbox - audio player (has MTP support - that works)

* Nautilus - File manager

* Gedit - text editor

* Brasero - CD / DVD Recording

* GNOME Terminal OR xterm - terminal

------------------------------------------------

Asunder OR Sound Juicer

what can be Removed (from Default install)

Remove - Totem Movie Player

Remove - Evolution Mail

Remove - Tomboy Notes

? - Empathy im Client

? - gnome-sound-Recorder

? - gnome-pilot / palm Devices

? - bluetooth ?

? - ubuntu one

? - F-spot photo manager ?

? - Transmission BitTorrent client ?

----------------------------
Notes:

make DVD version with the removed stuff...

-jay-
March 21st, 2010, 02:23 AM
1. Banshee as default audio player instead of rhythmbox

2. Deluge instead of transmission

3. Auto-detect most hardwares with the help of partner companies (like ubuntu capable logo)

4. Request adobe and autodesk to supprot this platform more

5. Marketing ubuntu like Firefox

sounds good to me

Hyper Tails
March 21st, 2010, 02:32 AM
There shouldn't be the need to edit your bootloader.

I do

Mikecore
March 21st, 2010, 03:57 AM
the window buttons on the correct side of the windowed box _ like theyhave always been,

Psumi
March 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
i think ubuntu should have...

2 CD install (default apps CD and extra apps CD )

OR

1 CD and 1/2 DVD (default app CD and default/extra apps DVD )

1. wubi should be moved to its own CD. People who need wubi are special cases to be honest. This should free up a TON of space on the liveCD.

* VLC - Media player (should be made a Default app)

it's not installed in ubuntu. Just because firefox says it is, doesn't meen it's installed (In fact, firefox says that totem handles the VLC operations.) Totem should stay the default imo. If it doesn't, I'll remove vlc and install totem myself. I really dislike VLC.

* Rhythmbox - audio player (has MTP support - that works)

I don't need it, why have something that you already have in totem?

* GNOME Terminal OR xterm - terminal

regardless, xterm is installed no matter what, since it's installed with xorg (along with xcalc, and various other x-utils.)

Asunder OR Sound Juicer

ubuntu isn't a multimedia OS. use ubuntu Studio.

Remove - Totem Movie Player

Totem handles VLC operations well, and I use it for DVDs too, it works perfectly, why should it be removed? Oh wait, I know, because you HATE THAT IT DOESN'T KEEP A PLAYLIST WHEN YOU OPEN FILES!!! I love that feature, I HATE playlists.

? - bluetooth ?

A LOT of people use bluetooth nowadays. Most cellphones do, keyboards will start being mass-produced with it within several years (There are already about three of them in our current market.)

? - Transmission BitTorrent client ?

Deluge should be used instead anyway.

----------------------------
Notes:

make DVD version with the removed stuff...

Why?

It is better to post things like this in their appropriate place:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

most of my ideas have been marked as not an idea: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/contributor/coldReactive/

DLHDragon
March 23rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
VLC media player

Based Framework: FFmpeg + original

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLC_media_player
--------------------------------------

Totem Movie Player

Based Framework: GStreamer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GStreamer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_(media_player)
--------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_media_players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_framework

################################################## ###
################################################## ###

if you use/like
Totem

install:
totem
totem-mozilla
totem-plugins

---------------

if you use/like
VLC

install:
VLC
mozilla-plugin-vlc

########################################

VLC is NOT Based on Totem

v1ad
March 23rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
i would prefer to have Google chrome as default OS :] or at least added. and also move buttons back to the right, this is not mac here.
and since we are better than windows have all plugins installed already and provide a full Ubuntu experience on DVD, or torrents so we won't clog up the bandwidth.
a lot of us do have wonderfully powerful computers and can handle any load Ubuntu can throw at it. lets have it.

phrostbyte
March 23rd, 2010, 02:11 AM
King Kong screensaver.

MasterNetra
March 23rd, 2010, 02:35 AM
I want Ubuntu to run my Microwave while we are at it! :p
Or better yet my neighbor's microwave! So I can frak with it when he is blaring his stereo at 12am - 1am in the morning.

madjr
March 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
wow, most of the OP suggestion have been implemented or are in progress, we've come a long way ;)

2- It would be better if Ubuntu had an inbuilt program to Backup/Restore the entire HDD like a snapshot and save it to another partition.

i guess the only missing is the auto backup/restore snapshot

i heard they will be working on a simple one on the google summer of code, i hope they integrate it well and make it automatic before user updates stuff

bullet311
March 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Wish: Ubuntu had more default tutorials in all subjects. I.E. A tutorial for people wanting to use the terminal. -In depth guide will help you figure it out. I.E. Tutorials listing how to begin programming or editing something.
Of course these are all online. But maybe a database of tutorials should be loaded on the OS Default.

Lafon
April 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
WvDial or an easy way to create a dial-up network.... WITHOUT the internet.

Lafon
April 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I want Ubuntu to run my Microwave while we are at it! :p
Or better yet my neighbor's microwave! So I can frak with it when he is blaring his stereo at 12am - 1am in the morning.

why not his stereo? that would be easier;):lolflag:

TheNessus
April 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM
here's my wishlist for 10.4:

A working boot.

zoomy942
April 12th, 2010, 08:53 PM
wish - suspend and hibernate work

TheNessus
April 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
wish - suspend and hibernate work
+10