PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anybody got a HP Mini 110 series netbook?

DanN
July 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM
G'day,

I'm looking at buying a HP Mini 110-1052TU netbook, not sure if that's an Australia specific model, but it's the basic HP 10" netbook design with an N280, 1G ram, 3 cell battery and 16Gb SSD. It also comes with the Mi distro.

I'm wondering whether anybody has one of these (or similar netbook) and could tell me how the smaller battery and SSD fare. I don't need much space, so 16Gb should be fine, but I'm just a little hesitant on the performance of SSDs at the moment. An indication of expected battery life would also be of interest

Also, does anybody have experience scrapping the Mi shell and switching back to regular Ubuntu? I understand that Mi is a just a specialized distribution of Ubuntu, but I believe it has it's own repo. So I would be concerned that if I reinstalled with the regular Ubuntu repos any specialized drivers (and updates) may only be in the Mi repos.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PhilMize
August 10th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I got the n280 proc w/ 2 gigs of ram and the 64gb ssd coming in on Wed. I'll check back and let you know my first impressions. I also picked up the 3 cell battery and the 6 cell. I would expect I'll use the Mi OS for the first week then just drop netbook remix on it or Mint.

Keen101
August 13th, 2009, 11:15 PM
It depends on what kinds of tasks you use your netbook for. If you plan on hybernating or copying/deleting lots of times, then an SSD would not be a good choice for you. You would wear out the ssd very fast i would think.

I have an HP mini 110 MI right now. came today :).

HP mi software isnt too bad, but i think i will want Ubuntu Netbook Remix soon instead. I do like the dark HP theme though. I have 2gb and 160gb hd on mine. (3 cell battery is about 2.5 hours)

PhilMize
August 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
So I have 9.04 installed and it's one of the only distros that works very well... Mint 7 was a bit buggy, netbook remix way bad didnt work, any 8.04-8.10 don't work w/ an ssd from what I've figured out. 9.04 sound works great, I have the small screen issue but only on some menus its not too bad. Only thing I cannot seem to get to work is the Mic for skype.

xurizaemon
November 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I got an HP Mini 110, it's a 110-1156TU which means 250GB HD and 1GB RAM. (The plethora of model numbers for the 110 series is nuts!)

Works lovely on Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 Karmic, also installed Ubuntu Moblin Remix 9.10 but less impressed with that. Interesting interface but a few issues there.

My only issues so far are that my mic doesn't work yet, and that the 3cell battery life is less than I expected at around 2.5H. Interested to see what I can do to get more time out of it ... just turned off Bluetooth. Seems to charge quite slowly too :S

linsol
November 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I've got the HP Mini 110-1116NR, 160 gig HD, 1 gig memory and wireless mouse. I've loaded UNR 9.1 in the Window7 partition. Everything works great, except I haven't tried the webcam or mic as I have no need for them at this time. Even the card reader works, which on the compatibility page said there was no drivers for it. The only problem I seem to have is if I hit enter on the startup page were you select which kernel to use it seems to hang up. But if I just let it time out, boots no problem.
Did take a few tries to get the wireless card up and running. After I removed the B43 driver and used the second choice, after rebooting, took right off.
The one complaint I have is there is not enough Ham Radio programs in the repositories. I'm not sure how to add some.
So I'm quite happy with UNR.