PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Horizontal lines on right side of screen

Basham
July 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Hey there I'm new to Ubuntu. Installed Jaunty today and I have horizontal lines that only extend out about half an inch from the right side of the screen. Any one know what's up?

Basham
July 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hey guys! Newbie to ubuntu and just installed jaunty and have a quick one for ya. I have horizontal lines that extend about half an inch in from the right side of the screen. Any one know whats up?

Finalfantasykid
July 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Think you could post a screen capture ;)

Basham
July 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM
can't really get a screen cap of it sorry

FlyingBuzz
July 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Had the screen resolution been detected correctly? This may be caused by incorrect Xorg configuration. If you move the cursor to the right side of the screen does it go through the border and then appear again between those lines?
Also check your VGA or DVI cable. It can be hardware problem.
And try to change resolutions. If then lines dissappear I think all the problem is on Xorg configuration.

coffeecat
July 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Do you mean you've got an Ubuntu desktop with horizontal lines on the right, or just half an inch of horizontal lines and no Ubuntu desktop? Can you take a picture of the screen and post it? It might be easier to diagnose if we can see what is going on.

rannable
July 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
it could also be that visual effects arent happy, go to System/Preferences/Appearence/Visual Effects and choose a lower/higher level and see what happens...

Basham
July 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Does anyone think that updating/installing the drivers would help? I have an ATI Mobility Radeo 1300. And if anyone could tell me where to get them and install them i would be very happy!

Basham
July 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Tried both changing the resolution to see if it was Xorg config, but it would continue to do the same no matter what resolution I set it to.

I also tried setting visual effects at different levels, but again, there were no changes with any settings.

Maybe I can shed some more light on what's happening:

Every time he either mouses over the minimize, expand, and close buttons in the top right hand corner, scrolls, or just does just about anything, these thin white lines will appear on the right side of the screen for a split second. They reach about half an inch into the right side of the monitor, and disappear quickly. When scrolling, large numbers of them appear, some of them grouping to represent a barcode looking thing.

And sometimes they'll just flicker at random.

I reinstalled to see if the copy was bad but still nothing.