PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] W-scan

Tclarkie
July 28th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Does anyone know how to use w-scan

QuanTime
January 15th, 2010, 10:37 AM
w_scan -c[COUNTRY]

replace [COUNTRY] with your country code, such as US for america, FR for france, AU for australia. Hope this helps.. even tho its hugely late.. might help others one day ;)

try

man w_scan

for some info on it.

Fitch
April 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Tried w-scan, but no matter what I put in as -c (i.e -c UK), I get:
COUNTRY CODE IS NOT DEFINED. FALLING BACK TO "DE"

jc2038
May 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Try w_scan -h which is an invalid command but outputs a help screen
it tells you that w_scan -H gives further help
then try w_scan -c ?

which outputs all available country codes you will see that the united kingdom is GB *not* UK in the list

then if you want output suitable for mplayer or vlc
run w_scan -c GB -X >channels.conf which will create a file channels.conf
this will take maybe 7 minutes to run through the scanning process

you can run w_scan -c GB -X first which will output to the screen

otherwise you will be waiting around 7 minutes not knowing if there is any output. w_scan should display your card details at the beginning if it can
identify your card or usb stick

if it does not, check that your DVB-T card or stick is installed properly ie correct firmware loaded etc see the output of running dmesg or look in /var/log/messages

load channels.conf into a text editor down at the bottom of the file
there is a block of the channels that have been found
example:
dumping lists (109 services)
BBC ONE Scot(BBC):634166670:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_ .....
etc etc
TOPUP Anytime3(TUTV):658166670:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_ 8_...
Done.

channels.conf should only contain this block of in my case 109 lines
get rid of extra lines like done Try w_scan -h which is an invalid command but outputs a help screen
then try w_scan -c ?

which outputs all available country codes you will see that the united kingdom is GB *not* UK in the list

otherwise you will be waiting around 7 minutes not knowing if there is any output. w_scan should display your card details at the beginning if it can

if it does not, check that your DVB-T card or stick is installed properly ie correct firmware loaded etc see the output of running dmesg or look in /var/log/messages

example:
etc etc
Done.

get rid of extra lines like done and dumping lists

for mplayer put the file in /etc/mplayer directory where mplayer.conf input.conf are

mplayer dvb://'BBC ONE Scot(BBC)' will play that channel

gnome-mplayer has an option on the file menu to play tv i have never got
that to work, if you have gnome-mplayer you also have mplayer which can be run from a terminal window

vlc file menu/streaming/capture device/dvb-t starts a scan but never finds any channels it needs initial values to be entered and possibly dvb-utils installed on the system some day i might look into how to do it meanwhile
the method below works for me
vlc --playlist-tree tv.conf radio.conf

for vlc
vlc channels.conf will load all the channels into the playlist
or run vlc then open your channels.conf file from the file menu or drag and drop channels.conf onto a running copy of vlc

other options
w_scan -c GB -X -E 0 -O 0 >channels.conf excludes encripted and other channels reduces list to 65 channels

-k generate channels.dvb for kaffeine

-X tzap/czap/xine output instead of vdr channels.conf
-x generate initial tuning data for (dvb-)scan

note -X and-x are different output types

w_scan -c GB -X -T 0 >radio.conf

vlc needs filename to end with .conf for DVB-T but you can use multiple playlists and other playlist formats for music etc

mplayer dvb://'BBC ONE Scot(BBC)' -dumpstream -dumpfile your-file.ts.mpg
uses less than 20% cpu recording the stream into a file at around 1gbyte per hour for standard definition tv, hd will use up much more space

mplayer can replay the file but it is still a transport stream as it was broadcast ie seeking forward in the file while possible is hit and miss

vlc will not be able to play it, solution is to convert to a program stream
using ffmpeg or mencoder
eg ffmpeg -i your-file.ts.mpg -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy your-file.ps.mpg because we are not converting the file using a different codec this is fast 700+ fps on a ancient 10 year old amd 1.1ghz computer

now vlc can play the file but it is still the original stream ie a mix of mpeg2 video mp3 audio at different bitrates and 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios (adverts usually 16:9) some channels are all 16:9 and sometimes interlaced content it all depends on the broadcaster
it does not really matter as long as mplayer or gnome-player and vlc can play it.

then try w_scan -c ?

example:
etc etc
Done.

for mplayer put the file in /etc/mplayer directory where mplayer.conf input.conf are

that to work, if you have gnome-mplayer you also have mplayer which can be run from a terminal window

vlc file menu/streaming/capture device/dvb-t starts a scan but never finds any channels it needs initial values to be entered and possibly dvb-utils installed on the system some day i might look into how to do it meanwhile

for vlc
or run vlc then open your channels.conf file from the file menu or drag and drop channels.conf onto a running copy of vlc

other options
w_scan -c GB -X -E 0 -O 0 >channels.conf excludes encripted and other channels reduces list to 65 channels

vlc needs filename to end with .conf for DVB-T but you can use multiple playlists and other playlist formats for music etc

uses less than 20% cpu recording the stream into a file at around 1gbyte per hour for standard definition tv, hd will use up much more space

mplayer can replay the file but it is still a transport stream as it was broadcast ie seeking forward in the file while possible is hit and miss

using ffmpeg or mencoder
eg ffmpeg -i your-file.ts.mpg -target pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy your-file.ps.mpg because we are not converting the file using a different codec this is fast 700+ fps on a ancient 10 year old amd 1.1ghz computer

now vlc can play the file but it is still the original stream ie a mix of mpeg2 video mp3 audio at different bitrates and 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios (adverts usually 16:9) some channels are all 16:9 and sometimes interlaced content it all depends on the broadcaster
it does not really matter as long as mplayer or gnome-player and vlc can play it.

w_scan does not need initial data other than country code
dvb-utils package which i understand needs
initial data to be obtained possibly this
w_scan output

ps
if using -A N specify ATSC type
see this w_scan bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/w-scan/+bug/771786

w_scan output

ps

and dumping lists

for vlc

other options

using ffmpeg or mencoder
eg ffmpeg -i your-file.ts.mpg -taTry w_scan -h which is an invalid command but outputs a help screen
then try w_scan -c ?

example:
etc etc
Done.

for vlc

other options

using ffmpeg or mencoder

then try w_scan -c ?

example:
etc etc
Done.

for vlc

other options

using ffmpeg or mencoder

w_scan output

ps

w_scan output

ps

rget pal-dvd -vcodec copy -acodec copy your-file.ps.mpg because we are not converting the file using a different codec this is fast 700+ fps on a ancient 10 year old amd 1.1ghz computer

w_scan output

ps

jc2038
May 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
sorry about that garbled post the forum logged me out
towards the end of it.

its all there just repeated multiple times

dave01945
August 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
try this its an interactive shell sccipt that will guide you through the process
www.code.google.com/p/easydvb

just download it make it executable (chmod u+x easydvb)
then run it ./easydvb