PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualbox 3.0 sun microsystems

DustyRider
July 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I have been using Linux now for two years. Started off with Fiesty now running Intrepid. I got tired of the MS BS and didn't look back. One of the things I hated with the switch was loosing a graphics program that i like and used extensively. I do not like the functionality of Gimp and wished I could run my old program. It wouldn't run under wine, but hey guess what it runs with Virtual box :D

I didn't like the sluggishness of Windows 7, first pic but I fully enjoy XP. I am glad I was able to try win7 as a test run and allot of folks are raving about it hitting the streets, I just don't like the interface. Asa far as I'm concerned windows lost ground with Vista and continues to do so. My favourite uplash

andrea000
July 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
so what happened when you tried to run it under wine?
Whats the name of the program?Wine is getting a lot
better i use a few programs under it and some of them
would not run under wine 1.0.1 Stable version.

Oh i love tux and the bsd daemon burning windows
that's funny i know that's what i feel like doing
after vista

DustyRider
July 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Andrea,

I was using MG Photosuite III, an old program but one that I truly enjoyed it's functionality and user interface. All the bells and whistles are not the answer at times. At times these programs become too cumbersome to use when only a portion of the program is used at any given time. It did what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. It would never install under wine and would always fail somewhere in the installation process.

Wrt to MS, I got tired of the incompatibility between IE, virus software and window fixes that no longer supported some hardware. So you were constantly dishing out money. I upgraded my system and could not get XP, it was either Vista or Linux, well I took the plunge and never looked back. Mind you Linux is not whihout it's formatting headaches, but once you get a system configured and running the way you want it is smooth sailing after that.

With virtual box I now have the best of both worlds. I can play poker on line which always gave me connectivity problems running under wine and I can fully use my graphics program and a few other tools that would not function under wine.

Windows 7 is cleaner and neater than Vista and should prove a good system to use in comparison with Vista, but it isn't Linux, and yeh Tux is having a camping party with that one too :)

andrea000
July 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
does it give a error message?I looked around on the
internet but i could not find much about it does it
require any visual basic run time or any thing like
that?

DustyRider
July 30th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, I don't understand your question or seem to have difficulty following your train of thought on that one.