PDA

View Full Version : We Need Free UBUNTU Bumper Stickers

kevil99
July 28th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I got free stickers when i ordered the free Ubuntu CDs. There made of paper. I put one on the back of my GFs van it faded and peeled in less than a week.

If i had the means id make some myself and give them out.

Anyone know where i can get some vinyl ones?

hansdown
July 28th, 2009, 03:13 AM
You can make your own, or most print shops will give a good price.

magmon
July 28th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Hmm, I agree, they should definately be made. Im not a big fan of unremovable stickers, but if it's for something I believe in then I guess I could make an exeption.

kevil99
July 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Id personally go so far as to have a sign shop make me a few, But Im using FREE distro so i'm obviously not made of money.It would be nice for some bigwig Companies who use Ubuntu to get some out there. Its not (cool) to have bumper stickers.Even tho they do spark interest.

I belive just word of mouth is'nt enough. Ive converted my GF. She really never had much choice. Ive broadcasted it on my Gaming Clans website in the forums with very little feedback.
I dont belive linux is for everyone.... At First!
I feel its more of a migration from windows over to Open Sorce.

The biggest problem is not it needs more games or that it need to be like windows. Its the fact that everyone had windows installed on thier PC when they got it. Learning linux isnt complicated at all. It just feels like your learning all over again. And that is what turns ppl off to it.

If Linux was promoted more im sure it would catch on:D Think an email to Mr Shuttleworth would be a waste?

kevil99
July 28th, 2009, 09:01 PM
i sent an email:P

Tristam Green
July 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
You get what you pay for.

kevil99
July 28th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I dont pay for Ubuntu and ALOT of good can be said about that!:D

Jimleko211
July 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I dont pay for Ubuntu and ALOT of good can be said about that!:D
You do pay for Ubuntu with your time and the effort you put into learning a new OS, and dealing with any complications that "don't happen" in Windows.

kevil99
July 29th, 2009, 01:17 AM
:DI agree. I suppose its how you look at it. I see it as literal because i have'nt spent a penny on Ubuntu. I did for windows. I dont think that windows is bad. It just bummed me when i came up off the hip and paid cash for win xp a few years back. I ran the OS with minimal problems but eventually i felt a format and reinstall was needed. This was fine until a few months later i decided to do it again and i was no longer to LEGALLY use the copy. I could not justify paying over a hundred dollars again for the EXACT SAME OS AGAIN.Therefore pirating was my only option. So rather than keep going thru the stages with that i went with The free (No Cash Out Of Pocket) OS:D

Warpnow
July 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
You do pay for Ubuntu with your time and the effort you put into learning a new OS, and dealing with any complications that "don't happen" in Windows.

This is referred to as opportunity cost, not cost. They are different for a reason. It is both incorrect and unwise to confuse them.

Tristam Green
July 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
:DI agree. I suppose its how you look at it. I see it as literal because i have'nt spent a penny on Ubuntu. I did for windows. I dont think that windows is bad. It just bummed me when i came up off the hip and paid cash for win xp a few years back. I ran the OS with minimal problems but eventually i felt a format and reinstall was needed. This was fine until a few months later i decided to do it again and i was no longer to LEGALLY use the copy. I could not justify paying over a hundred dollars again for the EXACT SAME OS AGAIN.Therefore pirating was my only option. So rather than keep going thru the stages with that i went with The free (No Cash Out Of Pocket) OS:D

A simple phone call would have fixed your problem of activation. I do it all the time when I change components in my machine.

kevil99
July 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Sure i love calling them its great talking to someone who has such a strong accent you cant make out half of what they are saying. I didnt enjoy having to reasoning with them.I was asked did i install new hardware and i told them no. Ok well then you can no longer use the copy. I dont see the justice in that.
I feel like if i use the OS for more than a few months it tends to slow down a bit and performance drops.Therefore id just back up music,photos and anything worth keeping then id would fomat the drive and reinstall. i cant use it for years. I would on occasion defrag and delete history.but this was never a complete resolve

Just let me be with my reasons. I love Ubuntu and i dont have those problems with it.

Basically i PAID for windows and was let down. I get Ubuntu free and the problems with it are always resolved with simple research. There is no perfect OS but ive found the closest thing and id like bumper stickers to
help me testify to that.

You go ahead and use windows all you want.

Tristam Green
July 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Sure i love calling them its great talking to someone who has such a strong accent you cant make out half of what they are saying. I didnt enjoy having to reasoning with them.I was asked did i install new hardware and i told them no. Ok well then you can no longer use the copy. I dont see the justice in that.
I feel like if i use the OS for more than a few months it tends to slow down a bit and performance drops.Therefore id just back up music,photos and anything worth keeping then id would fomat the drive and reinstall. i cant use it for years. I would on occasion defrag and delete history.but this was never a complete resolve

Just let me be with my reasons. I love Ubuntu and i dont have those problems with it.

Basically i PAID for windows and was let down. I get Ubuntu free and the problems with it are always resolved with simple research. There is no perfect OS but ive found the closest thing and id like bumper stickers to
help me testify to that.

You go ahead and use windows all you want.

Don't mistake what I'm saying for ridiculing you, or of being a Windows fanboy, because that's not what's going on here.

I use Windows and Linux equally, and both have their own fair share of problems (hi2u ATI video on Ubuntu 9.04). Simple research, 99% of the time, solves the problems I encounter on either of them.

You related a story of what you perceived as problems with the OS itself, when in reality the problems you encountered were with 1) a language barrier, 2) poor customer service, and 3) a subjective line of questioning. Had the girl asked me if I had installed a new piece of hardware, I would have plugged in a $5 modem, said "yes", and asked for another activation on my installation.

You also related a story about slowness of it as an operating system after a few months. In my use of both Windows and Linux (hello recurring discussions!) I find that both begin to slow down if I don't do file system checks to keep things running smoothly. Likewise, piling patches upon patches on the basic OS *is* going to slow down the OS, no matter who made it.

While I think that the no-cost aspect of Ubuntu and other distros of Linux is a draw and a darn good one, it really shouldn't be the *only* draw for anyone.

Forgive if this sounds rantish, but I'll leave you with your beliefs and reasons now.