PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virus-is there such a thing?

mr.henderson
July 28th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and it installed great, then it went out to get updates. I also added some programs like Dolphin and others, but here's the weird part; I cannot get it to boot now and it comes up with a screen of pale green Ubuntu like the normal loading window, left to right animation, but at the top of the screen is a band of red icons. One looks like a one-eyed skull, one is a one-eyed king or jester, one is an entrance to a castle. Others are something I cannot understand....maybe an intestinal tract and a quarter moon? It will not go any farther and just locks up.

Could this be a virus?

Thanks for all your help.

Twitch6000
July 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Mah a virus is a program that copies itself over and over.

Anyways it seems somehting you installed or edited made it unbootable.

I suggest going into failsafe mode.

If you can go in that way,uninstall any program you recently installed one by one to see what the problem was.

Once you find the problem report it.

If this does not work, only thing I can think of is save your home folder to cd and reinstall.

There is probably a better fix though.

mr.henderson
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
How to I go into failsafe mode? I see nothing stream by that says F8 or whatever. What's the secret password?

philcamlin
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Mah a virus is a program that copies itself over and over.

Anyways it seems somehting you installed or edited made it unbootable.

I suggest going into failsafe mode.

If you can go in that way,uninstall any program you recently installed one by one to see what the problem was.

Once you find the problem report it.

If this does not work, only thing I can think of is save your home folder to cd and reinstall.

There is probably a better fix though.

great idea :D i should have booted into failsafe mode when i screwdup things :popcorn:

anyways there are no such things as viruses for ubuntu so you can put your mind to rest that a hacker isnt bloating your pc with worms and garbage :D thats why i use ubuntu for its piece of mind

failsafe is under options in your logon screen :)