PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Offline multiple package upgrade - UNIQUE CIRCUMSTANCES

Zaehlas
July 28th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Greetings. I decided to upgrade my secondary partition to jaunty (64 bit), and the upgrade went ok, however, I am running into a number of limitations. My current circumstances are a problem right now, however.

I would like to do a major upgrade, however, because of my network security in my location, I do not have the capability to access the network directly with my personal computer.

I have to download the packages offline, and move them. I do have the following MAJOR limitations:

I do not have administrator access, or anything close to it in the computers with net access. I can download, and copy to CD to move stuff, but that's it (no usb of course) This precludes using windows mget, or any of the python scripts to automatically get large numbers of packages at once (or those havn't worked yet, that I can get them)

I cannot access any torrents
I cannot access any filesharing sites

The above two restrictions really hurt, because as far as I can tell, that's the only locations anyone is saving any scripts for updating a large number of programs at once.

Basically, is there any way to download entire cd's of packages, without using torrent or filesharing? I understand there probably isn't, and if that's the case, I've got a number of months left with a relatively useless computer. No worries, I guess I can wait.