PDA

View Full Version : Cool linux compatible keyboard/ mouse combo!

SunnyRabbiera
July 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Today I went off in search of a new mouse for my computer.
My older one I got was a logitech mouse that came with a keyboard that cost me about $60.
But I was never happy with it, eventually the letters on the keys came off and I cant even read what they are.
My mouse also sucked, it always collected a lot of dust and well I got annoyed how slow it was.
Anyhow I went to the radio shack as I did not want to go to the best buy or wal mart right off, sometimes radio shack has some good things so I went there and saw there was a sale on some low end keyboard/ mouse combos.

First there was this logitech combo for $50:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3406197

Then there was this model:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3225143

Then came the model I bought, A company called Sakar.
Now the label of this mouse/keyboard is I-Concepts but the company is Sakar.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3676067

I kind of liked the look of the keyboard, the colors were simular to my silver HP a1310y so I picked it up just because it was $29.
A dollar cheaper then the gigaware, and if it didnt work I could just bring it back.
So I asked the salesguy to show me the box because I wanted to see what was included.
And to my total shock it read right on the box:
For Windows AND LINUX!

I was like HOLY CRAP!
I hardly ever see a box with the word linux on it, so I made a good call on this thing.
So I took her home and right off every media key worked on it, only one or two of the keys I had to remap but still having every media key working is like super rare.
The only downside is that the keyboard has no feedback for when I hit caps lock, there is no light on the keyboard and the keyboard indicator application this has is for windows only .
Maybe there is some sort of thing I can do in linux for that, if not whatever I can deal I just have the habit of hitting my caps lock a bit without knowing it.
But that aside I say buy this thing if you can find it, even the 5 button mouse works in firefox.
The browse buttons on the side dont seem to work for Nautilus, they might work in KDE but I am unsure, as for the other buttons in KDE I dont know as currently I am using gnome but at some point I will try this in KDE.

arcdrag
July 28th, 2009, 01:37 AM
oddly enough, every media key on my keyboard works without being set up with Ubuntu in Gnome. Even the "My Computer" button brings up the contents of my Home directory. However, in order for any of those buttons to work in Windows, I need to put in a CD that came with the keyboard.

Nburnes
July 28th, 2009, 01:46 AM
All my media keys work on my laptop.

:D

SunnyRabbiera
July 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
oddly enough, every media key on my keyboard works without being set up with Ubuntu in Gnome. Even the "My Computer" button brings up the contents of my Home directory. However, in order for any of those buttons to work in Windows, I need to put in a CD that came with the keyboard.

All my media keys work on my laptop.

:D

It depends on the keyboard though, with the keyboard I got with my computer most of the special function keys work without configuration.
My volume keys work on it, my email key works, my internet key works, my search key works, but the other keys dont without somne configuration.
Same thing with my logitech, about 80% of the special function keys work.
This is the first keyboard I ever got where all the special function keys work.

Eviltechie
July 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I've got a standard dell 5 button mouse, and it works by default. I also have a saitek eclipse 2, the media buttons work fine on it.

I did however, see a keyboard in a store that said for windows mac and linux.

SunnyRabbiera
July 28th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I've got a standard dell 5 button mouse, and it works by default. I also have a saitek eclipse 2, the media buttons work fine on it.

I did however, see a keyboard in a store that said for windows mac and linux.

what brand?

MikeTheC
July 28th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Sounds nice. Me, I use a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. It works perfectly and looks great.

days_of_ruin
July 28th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Sounds nice. Me, I use a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. It works perfectly and looks great.

I have always wanted one of those, but they cost so much :P

What kind of keys does it have? Are they like laptop/scissor keys?

aamr
December 30th, 2009, 01:48 AM
you can use the key indicator applet, "sudo apt-get install lock-keys-applet", then kill the gnome-panel "killall gnome-panel" and right-click the gnome panel and you'll find it there.

Psumi
December 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
OP: Your third link takes me to a "No Results" page (the Sakar keyboard or whatever.)

3rdalbum
December 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I have a Razer keyboard. It's good. The only thing that doesn't work is the big Razer key - I can't seem to map it.

The Razer mouse (Deathadder) is just junk on Linux. It's ridiculously sensitive; I ended off buying one of the Razer mousemats so I could control it a little better. It's a comfortable mouse and I can play Quake Live better with it - but for general mousing it's the pits.

MaXMhZ
December 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
The keyboards from apoo (some with touchpad (mouse emulator) are also VERY nice and 100% compatible with Ubuntu. All Multimedia hotkeys work right out of the box and if you have a kbd with touchpad you no longer need a mouse (1,2 and 3 finger tap/wipes are fully supported by Ubuntu 10.04+ AFAIK). I use an E9070 (keyboard only) and an E9080 (keyboard+ multi-touchpad/numpad). Both work perfectly with Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.10.

These keyboards are high quality, very compact and widely available for a very low price considering what you get for your money. They're even on eBay. check http://rapoo.com - lots of reviews on Youtube too.

sffvba[e0rt
December 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Back to sleep, old thread.