PDA

View Full Version : Do you wash your hands after you use the restroom?

HappinessNow
July 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have heard statistics that 70% of men do NOT wash their hands after they use the restroom, I often wonder how do they come up with that number?

So I thought I would conduct a 'gender-neutral' sample research here for curiosity:

Do you wash your hands after you use the restroom?

Yes, I wash my hands after I use the restroom
No, I do NOT wash my hands after I use the restroom

This would have to be answered honestly, and as far as I know would be confidential unless you post a reply. Also, answer on habitual consistency if you occasional skip washing then answer 'No', also if you use a hand sanitizer product instead of/or in addition to washing answer 'yes'.

'Yes' would also include those who wash their hands before AND after using the restroom.

'No' would also include those who wash their hands ONLY before using the restroom but NOT after.

mihai.ile
July 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Well in my opinion many will vot to "what should do" and not "whar are doing actually".

The best you can do is for example in a shopping center while washing your hands slowly notice how many are getting out without washing during this period. I notice many just get out without washing.

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I normally just use hand sanitizer. The only time I actually wash my hands with soap and water is if they are actually soiled, and unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong in the restroom stall, my hands don't get soiled.

rannable
July 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
hell yeah i do and i use antibacterial gel too as restroom door handles are just as dirty so by the time you have washed your hands and opened several doors on the way back to your desk you are just as dirty as before you washed them :D

lisati
July 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I normally just use hand sanitizer. The only time I actually wash my hands with soap and water is if they are actually soiled, and unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong in the restroom stall, my hands don't get soiled.

Nicely said. The best I could manage was a slightly off-colour line I half remembered from a movie, and decided against repeating it.

Arup
July 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I am a paranoid germophobic so yes, I do wash my hands, not afraid what I will contact from my privates but am afraid whats around the bathrooms.

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
hell yeah i do and i use antibacterial gel too as restroom door handles are just as dirty so by the time you have washed your hands and opened several doors on the way back to your desk you are just as dirty as before you washed them :D

That reminds me of an Ellen DeGeneres standup routine where she's talking about being in a bathroom where the toilets are automatic, the sinks are automatic, and the hand dryer is automatic, and yet you still have to touch the germy door handle to get out of the bathroom.

Hobgoblin
July 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Isn't a restroom somewhere to have a rest?

I do wash my hands after using the toilet if that's what you mean, that is if there are hand washing facilities to be found (not always the case here in the English speaking part of the world).

khelben1979
July 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Wikipedia redirected me to the Washroom page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restroom), so I guess not.

KegHead
July 28th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi!

One of the first things learned in healthcare: wash your hands.

KegHead

jespdj
July 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM
OFCOURSE I wash my hands after using the restroom. And also before I eat anything.

People who are careless with this don't realise how many nasty bugs get on your hands very easily. One of the main ways that influenza spreads, is by people who touch for example door knobs that an infected person has touched. If you touch the door knob, and then touch your mouth, eyes, or food that you put in your mouth, there's a good chance that you'll be infected with influenza too.

Washing hands is much more important than many people realize.

khelben1979
July 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Washing hands is much more important than many people realize.

Agreed.

Ozor Mox
July 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I'm a hypochondriac, so I will always wash my hands after using the bathroom if the facilities are available. I wash my hands all the time though, probably more than 20 times a day.

y6FgBn)~v
July 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Humans are filthy animals, please wash your hands.

RiceMonster
July 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You mean people DON'T wash their hands? That's disgusting.

The Toxic Mite
July 28th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I do wash my hands after using the restroom

spoons
July 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I wonder how much strain would be taken off health care systems around the world and the money saved if everyone washed their hands.

The Toxic Mite
July 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
i wonder how much strain would be taken off health care systems around the world and the money saved if everyone washed their hands.

+1

decoherence
July 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know why anybody would pass up a chance to wash their hands. Whether you pee'd on yourself or not... there's a sink, there's soap, they're free... use em!

Scarath
July 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
The big problem is, in a public toilet you wash your hands, then touch the tap, or the door handle on the way out, etc etc etc. Probably makes you more dirty than before you touched your todger ... but you touched the door handle on the way IN, then touched ur todger! oh god

... and then i get OCD

Ericj1186
July 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I normally wash my hands pretty rigorously. I got pink eye for the first time in college, and the optometrist said it was probably from touch door handles, and then my eyes, since no one really washes their hands. I never got how they have automatic everything, but to get out of the bathroom, you have to pull the door open. It'd be much more hygienic to push...

HappinessNow
July 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
That reminds me of an Ellen DeGeneres standup routine where she's talking about being in a bathroom where the toilets are automatic, the sinks are automatic, and the hand dryer is automatic, and yet you still have to touch the germy door handle to get out of the bathroom.Unless of course if the door is automatic also, which is the case at my local library.

decoherence
July 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
but you touched the door handle on the way IN, then touched ur todger! oh god

... and then i get OCD

I always wondered how you caught that...

I can never, EVER AGAIN use a public bathroom! Oh blast, too late!

:lolflag:

Grant A.
July 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Nope, and then I make people pizza. :twisted:

(I actually do wash my hands after using the restroom)

blur xc
July 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Your poll is flawed. Were's the sometimes/not always, 50/50 option? I didn't vote.

Sometime you need to, sometimes you don't, and get this - SOMETIMES THERE IS NO WHERE TO WASH YOUR HANDS!!! The first time I ran across a porta potty with a hand wash station was at the Tour of California expo center in Pasadena Ca. (it's a bike race), and thought it was the coolest thing...

but seriously though, do you carry a sink around w you? what if you have to pull over and water the plants on thee side of the road? Or say you are and outdoors kind of person- and have to nature poop? I actually have a pretty funny story of one time I was mtn biking and was hit w/ diarrhea, and ended up getting crap all over myself... good times...

BM

dragos240
July 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
That's unsanitary.

SuperSonic4
July 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
No, I use my nifty gel but I wash my hands if I've forgotten it or I need to kill time

MikeTheC
July 28th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I don't have to use the restroom.

Bungo Pony
July 28th, 2009, 09:36 PM
With my job, I wash my hands BEFORE I use the restroom. I don't need anything creeping into my man goods.

So I guess the answer is no.

Darkhack
July 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Linus Torvalds walk into a bathroom. After doing their business, Bill walks to the sink and washes his hands. He uses a tiny bit of soap and a single paper towel and says, "Windows users are efficient". Steve washes his hands and uses a lot of soap and several paper towels and says, "Mac users are thorough". Linus walks out of the bathroom without touching a sink and says "Linux users don't **** on their hands".

Ericj1186
July 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Nope, and then I make people pizza. :twisted:

(I actually do wash my hands after using the restroom)

Papi is getting sloppy.

virusiidx
July 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I always wash my hands after using the restroom everytime. As for touching the doorknob or faucet/handles (as someone mentioned), I use a paper tower, especially on the way out. I'm actually a little disturbed on how many people don't wash their hands after using the restroom, especially the poll results. :?

Sublime Porte
July 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think this is specific to certain cultures, rather than in general for humanity.

Western societies tend not to put too much focus on washing after the restroom, nor washing the actual area that gets soiled during a visit (ie. the exit point). Some other cultures tend to require the use of bidets and mandatory hand washing etc.

I live in a Western country and work in a location where there is public restrooms, and I'd have to say 70% sounds about right, perhaps higher (probably varies from [western] country to country a little), I've also spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East, and over there bidets (or some other equivalent) are installed in every restroom, public or private, and also you'd never see anyone exiting without washing.

lisati
July 28th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I try to avoid soiling my hands in the first place, and there are certain activities I prefer to indulge in at home.

SomeGuyDude
July 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Nupe. I've developed a method to pee that prevents me from ever having to touch anything either in the bathroom or in my pants. It's quick and means no need to wash anything.

Also, to be honest, I'm pretty sure that my stuff is cleaner than the sink handles in most bathrooms.

Grishka
July 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Also, to be honest, I'm pretty sure that my stuff is cleaner than the sink handles in most bathrooms.

right you are, buddy. :D

blithen
July 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I do when Im out in public, but when Im home I don't. And honestly I don't see what the big deal is. My junk is clean and Im not peeing all over my hands.

magmon
July 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I do when Im out in public, but when Im home I don't. And honestly I don't see what the big deal is. My junk is clean and Im not peeing all over my hands.

I do the same thing. Why does it matter if we do or don't? Also, I think antibacterial soap will be the end of us all. The more they are killed, the more they build immunities to our antibacterials.

Grant A.
July 28th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Three employees from IBM, Microsoft, and Apple were peeing in the restroom.

When the Microsoft employee went to the sink, he said, "We at Microsoft do things quick, and use all of the available resources." He then got a huge glob of soap, put it on his hands, and quickly rinsed his hands through the water.

The Apple employee went to the sink, next, and he said, "At Apple, we do things thoroughly and use our resources conservatively." He then got a tiny piece of soap, applied it, and scrubbed like he was going into surgery. Then he got a tiny paper towel, and used every available inch of the paper towel to dry his hands.

The IBM employee finished peeing, walked straight to the door, and said, "At IBM, we don't p**s on our hands."

thisllub
July 28th, 2009, 11:08 PM
What's a restroom?

Bacteria are passed on from contact with faeces. Urine is sterile as long as you have no urinary tract infection.
Chances are in most cases that your willy is the cleanest thing in the room.
You should wash with soap after defecating though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

bodhi.zazen
July 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The big problem is, in a public toilet you wash your hands, then touch the tap, or the door handle on the way out, etc etc etc. Probably makes you more dirty than before you touched your todger ... but you touched the door handle on the way IN, then touched ur todger! oh god

... and then i get OCD

The proper way to wash your hands is to first wash your hands then turn off the water using the towel you dry your hands with to turn it off.

Please keep this thread on topic of sanitation.

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
The proper way to wash your hands is to first wash your hands then turn off the water using the towel you dry your hands with to turn it off.

But then wouldn't you have to use another towel to dry your hands with because you just made the one you used to turn off the water dirty?

MikeTheC
July 28th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Not if you dried your hands with it prior to turning the water off.

Giant Speck
July 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Not if you dried your hands with it prior to turning the water off.

But then you'd still be touching a wet, dirty towel!

doas777
July 28th, 2009, 11:40 PM
number 2's: always. with soap.
number 1's: 50%. the only thing i touched was me. since i'm in direct proximity to me 100% of the time, if I really needed to wash, then i would need to wash at all times.

edit: wow, thats a syllogism. if only it were a haiku too.

necromonger
July 29th, 2009, 12:07 AM
yes every tine

MikeTheC
July 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
number 2's: always. with soap.
number 1's: 50%. the only thing i touched was me. since i'm in direct proximity to me 100% of the time, if I really needed to wash, then i would need to wash at all times.

edit: wow, thats a syllogism. if only it were a haiku too.

Lather and rinse is
A variable which may
Not always be done.

doas777
July 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Lather and rinse is
A variable which may
Not always be done.

lol

coldReactive
July 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yes, yes I do.

Chianti
July 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Working in a hospital I got used to washing my hands after touching anything without gloves!:D

Anyway, washing after using the restroom is a must where water is accessible. On the other hand, germs are everywhere (even inside our body) and becoming paranoid about them it doesn't help becoming more healthy. It is also proven that "sterilized" enviroments can have an negative impact on the evolution of children's immune system.

Maheriano
July 29th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Any interaction with my bathroom at home - YES
Any interaction with a toilet in any public bathroom - YES
Using a urinal in a disgusting bathroom which would make my hands dirtier by touching the sink - NO

That's my rules.

oxf
July 29th, 2009, 05:19 PM

umm... but do you to achieve that where the only option is a whimpy handryer!

blur xc
July 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
While we are on the subject of public restrooms- as a father of young kids this is a difficult thing to handle. I teach my kids that EVERY surface of a public restroom is disgusting and the only surface they are allowed to touch is the floor w/ shoes on. I have a whole system worked out to set them on the toiled seat w/o disturbing the head gaskets (yes, I at least use two toilet seat protectors, after wiping the urine off w/ tp). We flush w/ our feet. We raise/lower the toilet seat with our feet. I'd turn the sink handles w/ my feet too if that was possible (not that limber)... And we do open/close the doors w/ paper towels. If I have the choice between doing my business outside behind a bush or in a public restroom, I'll always pick the bush. That's often hard in a city though.

BM

bodhi.zazen
July 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
umm... but do you to achieve that where the only option is a whimpy handryer!

Many public facilities are going to automatic sensors that turn the water on and off so it is becoming a non issue.

Otherwise, do your best. If you wish, nothing really preventing you from washing the sink and facilities if you wish.

Maheriano
July 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
While we are on the subject of public restrooms- as a father of young kids this is a difficult thing to handle. I teach my kids that EVERY surface of a public restroom is disgusting and the only surface they are allowed to touch is the floor w/ shoes on. I have a whole system worked out to set them on the toiled seat w/o disturbing the head gaskets (yes, I at least use two toilet seat protectors, after wiping the urine off w/ tp). We flush w/ our feet. We raise/lower the toilet seat with our feet. I'd turn the sink handles w/ my feet too if that was possible (not that limber)... And we do open/close the doors w/ paper towels. If I have the choice between doing my business outside behind a bush or in a public restroom, I'll always pick the bush. That's often hard in a city though.

BM
This is overkill. A bathroom sink/faucet/knob/door handle is no dirtier than the booth at McDonald's or the door handle of your car. With all the insanity you're teaching your kids, you won't make it 30 seconds without infecting your hands with just as much germs as you would have gotten from the bathroom. 6 seconds in a major city.

On the same topic, why do the doors to a bathroom always open in? Why can't they open out so you just push it with your foot to leave? I've never understood this, every public bathroom I've ever been in in the world has always had doors that open in, what's the point? It doesn't take an engineering genius to discover there's a better way to do this.

0per4t0r
July 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Erm.... I voted in the poll before I read the first post... :oops:

I wash my hands most of the time, if not all. Sometimes I wash before and after, sometimes just after, sometimes just before, and if i'm in a big rush, not at all (or hand sanitizer) I noticed, that at my middle school, most people don't wash after going. I'm one of the only few, and because my school has mostly air driers instead of paper towel, it takes forever, and if I find myself going to the bathroom at certain times of the day, I'm late for classes, as I only have 5 minutes between classes ](*,)

Grishka
July 29th, 2009, 08:45 PM
This is overkill. A bathroom sink/faucet/knob/door handle is no dirtier than the booth at McDonald's or the door handle of your car. With all the insanity you're teaching your kids, you won't make it 30 seconds without infecting your hands with just as much germs as you would have gotten from the bathroom. 6 seconds in a major city.

yea, that's right. I don't know how his children managed to survive for so long, their immune system must be almost non-existent, after it was deprived of stimulation for so long. your body has to learn what to fight, and it can't do that without pathogens entering your system in the first place. anti-bacteria soap makes it even worse, it will kill some microorganisms that normally live on the skin, and serve to protect and nurture it. hygiene is important, but hypochondria and paranoia will only serve to shorten your life, not to prolong it. that's one of the reasons so many people are allergic to all possible things nowadays - they are 'protected' from all possible things from their birth, so their body doesn't know how to fight the real threat when it appears.

Crunchy the Headcrab
July 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I wash my hands. :KS

I try to avoid public bathrooms wherever possible though.

KiwiNZ
July 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I carry a a small bottle of hand sanitiser with me at all times. I have a compromised ( suppressed) immune system so it is very important to be careful.

Having said that ,I believe everyone should carry these , given all the communicable diseases around , such as Swine flu for one example.

HappinessNow
July 29th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I carry a a small bottle of hand sanitiser with me at all times. I have a compromised ( suppressed) immune system so it is very important to be careful.

Having said that ,I believe everyone should carry these , given all the communicable diseases around , such as Swine flu for one example.
Good point about swine flu, I just read in my local paper where 2 employees at my neighborhood food store were diagnosed with swine flu. In the same article they pointed out that swine flu over all is under reported, since they only report severe/hospitalized cases.

What I find even more horrific is the amount of people who don't sanitize their hands after using a public/shared computer which potentially has more germs then the bathroom doorknobs/flush handles.

reference this new thread:
Do you wash/sanitize your hands after you use a public/shared computer? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226395)

seteshf
July 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have heard statistics that 70% of men do NOT wash their hands after they use the restroom, I often wonder how do they come up with that number?

That's why you don't eat the complimentary peanuts at the bar. :)

Supersquirrel
October 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Most of the time i use Hand Sanitizer. It is faster and more environmentally friendly plus its more powerful than washing your hands with antibacterial soap.

nubimax
October 3rd, 2009, 01:03 AM
always but I still kept getting sick, when I brought this to the attention of my doctor he said did you ever think about the money you handle. So now I wash my hands at ever opportunity now only sick on average once a year instead of once a week

The Real Dave
October 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yup :D Forever cleaning under my nails too. Though, seeing as I use a hankerchief, any benefit is negated the moment I put my hands in my pockets. Then again, I'm not worried about bacteria on my body, the majority of it is "Friendly" bacteria as far as I know, or want to know :D

That words in brackets due to a hilarious statement by my Irish teacher, as to whether one could actually befriend a bacteria :D Every try to hug a single celled organism? :P

ErikEhlert
October 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Well, assuming everyone here often handles mice, keyboards, and sometimes computer hardware, I hope you do. I myself wash, but if you do shower daily, its not like your really "grabbing onto" anything dirty ;)

Cope57
October 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
Money is dirtier than the public restroom you just used.

Is your toothbrush is older than 3 months? change it.

When was the last time you sterilized your keyboard and mouse? From what I have read, they have more germs than a toilet.

There are hundreds of things which are dirtier than not washing your hands.

Yes, I do wash my hands.

87% of all statistics are useless, and I did not vote. :P

Xbehave
October 3rd, 2009, 02:31 AM
I know where my **** has been all day (in my pants), i think it would be better to wash your hands before you pea to not get it filthy with your hands.

Jesus_Valdez
October 3rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
you'r hands are really more filthy but pea is pea

renkinjutsu
October 3rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
highschool days, i've noticed that most guys usually just walked out of the bathroom without washing their hands.. I also see guys fixing their hair before walking out.. There's nothing wrong with them fixing their hair (except that they NEVER even washed their hands!)

so i got curious and started asking the girls i knew (they all washed their hands) if they had similar experiences in the girl's room.. Surprisingly, they told me that most of the girls they see don't wash their hands either!!

but one day.. maybe it was good timing on my part, but it was such a severe coincidence nonetheless. There was actually a line to the sink for people wanting to wash their hands! .. i actually had to wait! -- that was a special day.

Cope57
October 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Just because you washed your hands and they are clean, how are you going to exit the restroom without touching the door handle, which was touched by so many that have not washed their hands?

You may now be a little more conscious of why you washed your hands in the first place.

:confused:

#11u-max
October 12th, 2009, 11:30 PM

I do wash my hands after using the toilet if that's what you mean, that is if there are hand washing facilities to be found (not always the case here in the English speaking part of the world).
wha-?:confused: western hemisphere or UK?

chillicampari
October 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I open the door when leaving a public restroom with a paper towel. If it's an electric dryer I use clean TP and either way toss it in the nearest garbage can.

Also, at my old workplace a lot of us would tell each other who did and did not wash their hands.

HappinessNow
October 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I open the door when leaving a public restroom with a paper towel. If it's an electric dryer I use clean TP and either way toss it in the nearest garbage can.

Also, at my old workplace a lot of us would tell each other who did and did not wash their hands.Wow, like a blacklist!

forrestcupp
October 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I wear rubber gloves and rubber undershorts with a couple of holes in them. Then after I leave the restroom, I remove the gloves and throw them away. So I never have to wash my hands.

It's kind of embarrassing when I remove the rubber undershorts after I leave the restroom, but it's worth it for health's sake.

chillicampari
October 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Wow, like a blacklist!

Yep, since our dept had to touch most everyone's stuff we wanted to know who had the pee keyboards and mice.

forrestcupp, now *that* is showing consideration for others.

Exodist
October 13th, 2009, 05:17 AM
OMG 20% of you are dirty bastards! :P

HappinessNow
October 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
OMG 20% of you are dirty bastards! :PCrazy, lately I have noticed more and more people leaving the restroom without washing!

vishzilla
October 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Yes.. obviously. Boy, you sure post random threads!

PurposeOfReason
October 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
This depends, am I at work or not? Work, of course I do. Home, nope. You all may think it's gross, but I shower daily and don't **** on my hands. Believe it or not, this is working well for me.

earthpigg
October 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM
for #1, no.

-urine is perfectly sterile. (in fact, it is potable and perfectly safe to drink... more safe than local running river/creek water. anyone that has attended any form of worthwhile survival school will know this.)
-i dont urinate on my hands any damn way.
-my junk is quite clean, thank you.
-if i have been doing physical labor or something else unclean, i wash my hands FIRST.
-if i am ABOUT to do something that needs to be especially sanitary (make food, set the table for dinner, etc), i wash my hands immediately before.... and AFTER i am done touching bathroom door knobs and bathroom sink faucets and whatnot.

washing your hands and then touching the bathroom doorknob is idiocy, in my opinion.

the only way that going #1 and then washing your hands as most people do makes any sense at all to me is if paper towels are then used to turn the faucet off and open the bathroom door and then discarded withOUT touching the trash can.

for #2, i absolutely wash my hands.

-fecal matter is absolutely NOT sterile and quite deadly. while in africa, i saw the effects of dysentery and hepatitis E first hand.

before eating, yes i absolutely wash my hands.

but for #1? accomplishes absolutely nothing that is beneficial to me, and accomplishes absolutely nothing beneficial for those around me.

ZarathustraDK
October 13th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Fighting germs is a mugs game. Develop a natural resistance through exposure is what I say.

Fact: the genitals are probably the cleanest part of a human (not counting sweat & urine, which are harmless salty liquids (actually urinematter is used in facialcremes under the name carbamide), and VD's).

Trying to keep conditions sterile just makes the immune-system dull, and prone to over-reacting when exposed to contaminants.

amingv
October 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Fighting germs is a mugs game. Develop a natural resistance through exposure is what I say.

Fact: the genitals are probably the cleanest part of a human (not counting sweat & urine, which are harmless salty liquids (actually urinematter is used in facialcremes under the name carbamide), and VD's).

Trying to keep conditions sterile just makes the immune-system dull, and prone to over-reacting when exposed to contaminants.

I have to disagree.

When you go to the bathroom not only do you touch your genitals, you also touch a doorknob, you flush the toilet/urinal (unless it's automatic), you may touch a paper towel dispenser, etc.

All these things may contain old bacteria from people like you, who just put them there, thinking they're unimportant. They have sneezed in their hands, scratched their butts, picked their noses and done a wide amalgam of other things.

THESE are the bacteria I want to avoid, and that I don't want to take to the cafeteria with me afterwards, I know full well how I hygienize myself, so why would that concern me?

A lack of hygiene can never be proposed as a way of improving the immune system, if this was so we wouldn't bathe or cook our foods or anything like that as it would actually be harmful.

cascade9
October 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Any interaction with my bathroom at home - YES
Any interaction with a toilet in any public bathroom - YES
Using a urinal in a disgusting bathroom which would make my hands dirtier by touching the sink - NO

That's my rules.

+1

I've seen some very very dirty public bathrooms. Music festivals are the standout for 'omg thats nasty'. Sometimes I think it would be cleaner to wash my hands in my own urine than to use the sink.

forrestcupp
October 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM
-urine is perfectly sterile. (in fact, it is potable and perfectly safe to drink... more safe than local running river/creek water. anyone that has attended any form of worthwhile survival school will know this.)And it's quite satisfying and tasty. :)

washing your hands and then touching the bathroom doorknob is idiocy, in my opinion.
So instead of having clean hands and touching the bathroom doorknob, you think it's better to touch your sweaty, hairy area while you're urinating and touch the bathroom knob? Smart thinking. ;)

NJC
October 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
):P Wash-o-phobe here too.

Use paper towel to pull door handle open.

Elen-Sil
October 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
*tries to keep her hands clean*

When I'm in public restrooms I close the tap with the paper towel I use to wipe my hands so that I don't touch the dirty handle again.

It could be true that less women don't wash their hands than men who don't wash their hands. I remember I was -very- surprised to see a girl who I know from my faculty coming out of the cubicle and not even consider washing her hands...

spupy
October 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
The funny thing is that people think washing their hands afterwards is the only necessary thing to do. I see many people who wash their hands normally, then go on and grab the door handle of the WC. The door handles are visibly dirty and touching them negates any effect of washing your hands. It is even worse than not washing your hands. That's why I always open doors of public WCs with a napkin or something similar.

Regenweald
October 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
):P Wash-o-phobe here too.

Use paper towel to pull door handle open.

I grab up at the top to open the door and bypass the handle. Placebo effect maybe but i always try to avoid the handle. end of the shirt and elbows for taps if it's not motion or infra red.

earthpigg
October 14th, 2009, 12:51 AM
And it's quite satisfying and tasty. :)

So instead of having clean hands and touching the bathroom doorknob, you think it's better to touch your sweaty, hairy area while you're urinating and touch the bathroom knob? Smart thinking. ;)

what makes you think anything i am touching down there is sweaty or hairy??

i dont know what kind of mess you have going on down there...

hoppipolla
October 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I always do... I thought everyone did o.O lol

RichardLinx
October 14th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Yes, I always wash my hands. If I didn't my sisters and mum would probably beat the habit into me! :P Seriously though, the 43 people who voted "no" need to work on there basic hygeine.

And so Ubuntu Forums became a community of clean-freaks.

amingv
October 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM

I want to have my sweat glands removed, too.:)

PurposeOfReason
October 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM

+1

The only time I sweat anywhere is when I go to work out and I like to keep myself well groomed everywhere. Point being, I would not hesitate to bet that I am far more clean than most of you who wash your hands after each ****.

HappyFeet
October 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I would not hesitate to bet that I am far more clean than most of you who wash your hands after each ****.

Thank you for that insight. :rolleyes:

caro
October 14th, 2009, 03:32 AM
i do when im out in public, but when im home i don't. And honestly i don't see what the big deal is. My junk is clean and im not peeing all over my hands.

+1

Door knobs, pens for public use, etc are all just as dirty as the door or sink in the bathroom.

During the winter, I wash my hands frequently especially after shaking hands or using someone else's keyboard. Seems to help keep viruses at bay.