PDA

View Full Version : Sansung YP-P2 With Ubuntu?

izizzle
July 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I am planning on getting a Samsung YP-P2 MP3/Video player and I was wondering if it syncs and connects with ubuntu?

Thanks.

izizzle
July 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Bump...

seteshf
July 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Can't speak for the Samsung, but I'll just butt in here and suggest the 8 gig Sansa Fuze.

They can play Ogg Vorbis. Vorbis sounds CD quality to me at Q5 (VBR ~160kbps) whereas MP3 needs to be around Lame V2 (~192-250kbps)

There's some major deficiencies in the MP3 standard that Vorbis doesn't suffer from, and Vorbis can represent the entire frequency spectrum at much lower bitrates because of this.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

If it can't play Vorbis, at least get something that supports M4A/AAC.

Grant A.
July 28th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Can't speak for the Samsung, but I'll just butt in here and suggest the 8 gig Sansa Fuze.

They can play Ogg Vorbis. Vorbis sounds CD quality to me at Q5 (VBR ~160kbps) whereas MP3 needs to be around Lame V2 (~192-250kbps)

There's some major deficiencies in the MP3 standard that Vorbis doesn't suffer from, and Vorbis can represent the entire frequency spectrum at much lower bitrates because of this.

The problem with vorbis is that, unless you are converting it from a lossless format, you're going to end up with double the loss of quality, due to the fact that you're going from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis.

I would recommend FLAC, but +1 to the suggestion of a Sansa Fuze. Buy your Fuze from the Sansa site, though, as the ones at Best Buy have some sort of modified firmware. Also, a Fuze doesn't have any special program for Linux, but it is able to have music dropped into it like a flash drive.

Have fun! :popcorn:

dragos240
July 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Also. I bet rockbox can make a firmware for it. So that is IS linux compatible.

seteshf
July 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The problem with vorbis is that, unless you are converting it from a lossless format, you're going to end up with double the loss of quality, due to the fact that you're going from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis.

I would recommend FLAC, but +1 to the suggestion of a Sansa Fuze. Buy your Fuze from the Sansa site, though, as the ones at Best Buy have some sort of modified firmware. Also, a Fuze doesn't have any special program for Linux, but it is able to have music dropped into it like a flash drive.

Have fun! :popcorn:
You can also use MTP if you want some crazy delicious device errors.

izizzle
July 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I was looking for something with a touch screen interface...any recommendations?

dragos240
July 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Get a palm pilot :D

izizzle
July 28th, 2009, 09:22 PM
What do you guys think of THIS (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612521-REG/Coby_MP836_8G_MP836_Video_MP3_Player.html)?