PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange colors in screen, SiS 661/741/760 PCI/AGP

DionB
July 27th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Greetings,

I first want to say that I am completely new and had much trouble with Ubuntu. It took me an entire day to get wireless working, and now I have moved on to the next problem.

I have really strange colours in my screen. Most pictures and colours aren't displayed how they should. Most have lines running through them. It looks a bit like a tv that has no signal.

This is what the lspci says about my video card:

VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display AdapterI have tried many things that people recommend on the internet. I can't even remember everything I did. I tried for example to sudo gedit /etc/x11/xorg.conf. When it opened it was already empty, wich I found weird. I filled in what I got from an example, and it said: Could not find file: /etc/x11/xorg.config . I downloaded all kinds of SiS drivers, but I don't know how to get them working.

I am totally lost in what to do now. Is there anyone that can help me out?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using Ubuntu 9.04

komputes
July 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
This issue has been reported and confirmed. I have attempted to contact the driver maintainer but have not received a response. Feel free to subscribe to this bug and mark it as affecting you, as attention will only be paid to the bug if the numbers are there backing it up.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-sis/+bug/317658

Meanwhile you can use the following as a workaround:

please try adding sisfb to /etc/modules to solve this issue.

1) Press Alt-F2 and run the following command (without quotes):
"gksu gedit /etc/modules"
2) The editor will open. Add the following line to the bottom (without quotes):
"sisfb"
3) Press Alt-F2 and run the following command (without quotes):
"gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf"
4) In Section "Device" make sure there is a line specifying the sis driver:
Driver "sis"

The files should end up looking similar to this:

== /etc/modules ==
fuse
lp
sisfb
== ==

== /etc/X11/xorg.conf ==
Section "Device"
Identifier "Video Device"
Driver "sis"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Video Device"
EndSection
== ==

DionB
July 28th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thank you very much! This indeed helped my problem, all the weird colours are gone.

strangequarks
January 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi, I had the same problem, and just tried the first two steps of your solution:

1) Press Alt-F2 and run the following command (without quotes):
"gksu gedit /etc/modules"
2) The editor will open. Add the following line to the bottom (without quotes):
"sisfb"

I saved the file and restarted the computer and it's all fine now! Didn't do anything with xorg.conf.

Thank you v much!

nightwolf2k5
February 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and posted a thread too http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1399237 to which unfortunately i could not get a response.

After around 6 or 7 restarts, the display works normally. But if i restart again, the same problem would occur.

I have somehow (just by trial and error) found a workaround to this. But i am really not sure if it can be called a workaround because it is just a temporary solution.

When you get a working display... instead of a shut down.. just hibernate. When you switch the system back up again, the display should be normal.
Like i said, this is just a temporary solution until you would require restarting the system after an update or something like that.

ajslay
February 26th, 2010, 10:50 PM
wow i finaly found an answer to this problem! thanks for this thread lol. i was having the same problem on my brothers 3 year old emachines laptop, im gonna see if this works. thanks

mibdata
May 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Tenta alt+f2 "metacity -c –replace"

aqui resolveu.