PDA

View Full Version : relevantknowledge: What a freaking nightmare!

swoll1980
July 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I just spent the last hour locating, and cleaning all traces of this stupid program off my computer. I have no idea how it got there. I haven't installed a program on Windows in almost a year, so it couldn't have piggybacked, besides the fact that I'm not dumb enough to install programs from untrusted sources. I will be scratching my head for the rest of the day over this one. at least they were dumb enough to make it extremely obvious. Besides the strange behavior, pop ups, and such, they actually put a damn icon in the task bar. Freaking scum suckers!

lisati
July 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I've had similar happen, where installing one program puts other rubbish on my computer. One such program had the cheek to tell me that there was no spyware included, and then install something that AVG reported as "not so nice" - thankfully there was an entry on the Add/Remove programs list which helped simplify its removal.

bodhi.zazen
July 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
That is one of the reasons I left windows. There are very few trustworthy "free" applications and many more shady ones.

Even worse for pirating. Who knows what is in those cracks =)

Nope, I'm staying with Linux as much as possible.

The only windows apps I use are 2 pieces of educational software, used for teaching Violin to the children (no linux port and does not run on wine).

swoll1980
July 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I didn't install anything though, that's why it is so weird.

bodhi.zazen
July 27th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Well again welcome to windows =)

Must have installed with something, email, attachment, funny "*.exe", social engineering ?

Think, what did you click ? Autorun from USB ?

Firestem4
July 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Must have installed with something, email, attachment, funny "*.exe", social engineering ?

Log-In ):P

windows-killer
July 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
there is nothing wrong with windows, its USER ERROR.
trust me it happened to me in ubuntu as well, again its USER ERROR!

swoll1980
July 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM

I just remembered I installed a pdf print driver from download.com, but that was a week ,or so ago, and I would be shocked if any thing from cnet was malicious.

swoll1980
July 28th, 2009, 12:01 AM
there is nothing wrong with windows, its USER ERROR.
trust me it happened to me in ubuntu as well, again its USER ERROR!

I get all my Linux software from the repos, so I don't think I have to worry about it.